Thread: FM's literary, artistic conundrum/crisis

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar

FM's literary, artistic conundrum/crisis

I think I've come to realize that the reason I hate it when a person calls herself "an artist" is because I find it very difficult to do something creative. I've seen talented people work, and most of them poop their stuff effortlessly, but to be an artist, I believe intention has got to align with the effect that the creation ultimately produces in the audience. Everything else is luck.

I'm either fortunate enough or foolish enough to have had some training on language, and I think I have some basic understanding of the difficulty in conveying/transmitting/coding meaning and significance to, say, words; and for that I'm super conscious of doing it right.

First off, of course I want some social validation! I'd burn anything I wrote after the fact if I didn't. I just don't want to be "talented" and "lucky" every now and then.

Second, I have no fear of inspiration. The world giveth, I shaped it. I can take inspiration from the arts, the sciences and the lives of others. That is not something that troubles me.

Because I think I have some understanding of capital, I believe it's fair to obtain revenue for IP. Because I believe I have some understanding of the art world, I'm not planning on getting rich from art, I just dream about it.

In a perfect world, I find the will power to hone my craft and have people want to read the stuff I write, thus giving me more energy to further fine-tune my ears and eyes and hands to the point where I get to think that the stuff I write is good enough to be called "art" and that people should pay me for it.

Does any of this make any sense?
    acket.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    Does any of this make any sense?
    Depends on people's reactions.

If they got it but disagreed with what you wrote, call them an idiot.

But if they didn't get it, just call it art.

Start a blog. Write on your blog lots. Link to your blog in various places. See if anyone spots your blog and says "hey, want to freelance for us?" If not, just keep writing blog.

My friend, months/years ago, told me about some website where you could submit freelance articles on whatever topic and if someone picked it up you'd get some small payment for it. I don't remember exactly how it worked, or what it was called, but maybe the idea interests you.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    Bit of both, but mostly the former. Only did the latter because it was already there and i thought it'd click bait people here, like that time schnell almost got hit on the freeway.
    acket.

I need to submit that thing, ASAP. Deadline is on the 27th. May.
    acket.

Deadline was barely met. Bad stomach infection developed hours later. I guess i shouldn't procrastinate so much.
    acket.