Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repetitive Stress

Repetitive Stress

I think I gave myself a repetitive stress injury to my left thumb from gaming. Anyone that is on my XBL friends list knows that I game a lot. I play at least an hour a day. Regularly I game 2-4 hours a day. My thumb has been hurting this week, in the area of the second knuckle and fleshy area on the palm. I would think that I would have built up those muscles from decades of hard gaming, you know, like an athlete. Maybe all that gaming is finally taking its toll on this ol' guy. I guess I need to take a break from it for a little while.

Don't worry, I get bad eye strain in my left eye due to my right being lazy.
    Found gaming glasses, or as my wife calls them, geek goggles, seems to help a bit.

Junior Potato
    Cam I get that too, albeit very mildly.

And you know what? We're not teenagers any more. Bits will hurt over time. In 20-30 years we will be the first generation reporting arthritis for gaming injuries!

Hopefully in the coming decades medical science will have progressed and there will be a cure for arthritis, as well as Alzheimer's and all forms of cancer, and when we're 80 years old we won't have to worry about it.

Join the Glorious PC Gaming Race and switch to Mouse/Keyboard?

That's not much better for carpal tunnel. One of my first jobs out of college was working for an Internet service provider designing web sites. I forced myself to learn use my off-hand with the mouse to prevent carpal tunnel. NOW WHO'S SUPERIOR?

Oh, it's not better for carpal tunnel, but it could give the left and middle parts of your left thumb a bit of a rest.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    I was getting pretty bad carpal tunnel using PS3 controllers for a while, I think certain games and the use of the analogue sticks, etc. can make it worse.

I’ve never heard of this problem when playing video games. I’ve had frustrations with controllers before, but it was usually rectified by smashing the controller against the wall.

Then buying another one.

I have a big picture window in my living room and I'm pretty proud of myself for not launching the PS4 controller through it at least once.

Thankfully, I have never been a rage gamer.