Page 1 of 100 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Switch (was: Nintendo NX)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Junior Potato

Nintendo Switch (was: Nintendo NX)

News everywhere is stating that the next Nintendo console, currently codenamed NX, will be out in March 2017, along with the next Zelda title.

Looks like I'll be skipping the WiiU

What's a "Nintendo?"

I love Nintendo's properties and many of their 1st party titles, but they've mishandled multiple consoles in a row, and I'm not sure if I'm willing to part with money on another one anytime soon.

Junior Potato
    I tend to agree; the Wii had a shit-tonne of untapped potential, especially online, but Nintendo has always been very conservative in this regard given the general age of its userbase. Apparently Splatoon and Smash Bros. are massively popular online, but I've never seen this in action on a WiiU myself so I can't comment.

I doubt we'll ever see Xbox or PS levels of "things to do on your console that aren't games" because it's literally all about the games for Nintndo, and yours and my opinion of mishandling a console is very different to Nintendo's opinion, given that they pretty much tend to print their own money (all of the money) every time they release a AAA title.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    I doubt we'll ever see Xbox or PS levels of "things to do on your console that aren't games" because it's literally all about the games for Nintndo
    The Wii U has a web browser, several streaming video apps, one streaming music app, weather and news service(s), its own social media site (which is focused on the games), and used to have a second-screen TV service that included chat and trivia/prediction games. It's multitasking is not at XBox One levels, but the dual screen interface does have its conveniences (watching a race live stream on the TV while the GamePad has timing and scoring, finding the next YouTube video to watch without interrupting the current one, being able to walk to another room with the GamePad so you don't miss anything).

It does not, however, have any kind of party chat system, only dedicated video calls (that you will only receive if you are also in the video call app when you are called, so you basically have to schedule it via other means), or any kind of cross-game invite system.
    Get that weak shit off my track

I skipped the Wii because I played it a few times and had enough fun. It seemed that happened to most people that bought it.
    Like RWA said, there was a lot of potential. It just wasn't sold to the public enough, on what those benefits were.

I only own a WiiU because I got it for free. I picked up a few of the good Wii games I missed. Yay backwards compatibility. My son enjoys it. And I like that he can play games on the touchscreen while I use the big screen. But, there's not much there besides that.

The lack of decent 2nd party titles is my barrier. Nintendo's titles have been very good. I think the hardware and OS are solid and innovative. Unfortunately I can't justify a console for one or two games. (I have three for the xbone. Nyah.)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing that the Wii U is competitive and should have been successful this generation. In the early stages, Nintendo made it seem like the Wii U would be close enough in power to the (yet to be detailed) new XBox and Playstation, and hoped it would be popular enough that the draw of increased sales would make third parties port their main franchises to it.

But it was not as powerful as people hoped, and therefore not as easy to port for, and therefore there were fewer third party games, and therefore there were fewer sales, and therefore there were even fewer third party games, and so on. Games from third parties that had been announced, shown, or even playable (Ghost Recon) at E3 during the Wii U's reveal week were gone, with nothing in their place.

I don't regret the system purchase, as I have had a ton of fun with it, but it is not what I had expected it would be at announcement or hoped it would be at launch. I don't know what to expect for the NX (just being a 4K Wii U doesn't seem like enough to draw third parties and consumers back in, unless it's priced lower than the upcoming console upgrade kits, and I don't know what else it could be).

I think the porting issue you mentioned is about spot-on and we all know what bad ports due to systems.

I wonder if they'd have been better off with something like Android compatibility than trying to lure developers into porting xbone titles.

No, for a few reasons.

1) Part of the strength of Android compatibility is being able to build in that ecosystem. That ecosystem is increasingly reliant on Google Play Services (partially for Google's benefit, partially because it means we all get updates to things faster since they don't have to go through manufacturers and carriers for implementation), and many games use Google Play Services for various back-end things. Unless they're building a full on Android, Google Play-compatible box, they're not going to get that functionality.
    2) It will be far too easy to just see it as "an Android device," of which there are dozens/hundreds, most of which will undercut it on price.
    3) They will be dangling dangerously close to just being a game developer, and the transition from console maker to purely game developer has not gone well for anyone so far.
    4) There's a much smaller leap in porting a small game to a big console than a big game to a small console, so if the demand arises, they will not be in a bad position.

Jason and I have discussed previously and pretty much came to the conclusion that their best bet is to have the same kind of architecture as the current systems (which are very PC-like), with a significant power bump, some noteworthy idea/difference (IMO keeping the GamePad would fill that void), and an astonishing price (aka significantly undercutting whatever the price of the upgraded consoles will be). We just don't really see how they will pull off awesome specs, GamePad/whatever *and* great price, and barring all three, I don't know how they make a big dent in their behemoth competition.