Page 65 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Switch (was: Nintendo NX)

Nintendo Switch Online app is available (but not yet functional). Edit: Correction, the article below says it was giving them a Server Maintenance error, but it's working for me.

http://kotaku.com/1797040718

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nint...e/id1234806557

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ndo.znca&hl=en

Edit: When they talked about inviting people via FB/Twitter/etc with the app, I thought they meant just inviting to be on your friend list. This lets you invite people to the game lobby you're in via a URL that you share from the app. That's nice.
    Last edited by Kchrpm; July 19th, 2017 at 06:11 AM.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Couple of interesting things from the FAQ: http://en-americas-support.nintendo....ail/a_id/26938

Can I use the app to voice chat with other players when not playing a game?
    No. Players are not able to start voice chat communication until they have joined the Online Lounge within Splatoon 2.
    Does Sony's online service allow this? I know XBox Live was the only setup with party chat at one point. Edit: looks like PSN has it now, so Nintendo is the only outlier.

If I use my smart device's other features (texts, social media, etc.) will I be disconnected?
    The voice chat will disconnect while you're talking on the phone or using another application, but your voice chat will restart in the same room once you open the Nintendo Switch Online application again as long as the game session is still ongoing.
    No bueno. Gotta add background functionality, guys, sheesh.
    Last edited by Kchrpm; July 19th, 2017 at 06:25 AM.

RBI Baseball 17 coming to Switch on September 5th. It's the modern day equivalent of SNES baseball games like Ken Griffey Jr.

http://nintendoeverything.com/r-b-i-...-in-september/

Jason has pointed out that it got poor reviews. That's too bad, I thought the first year or so that it was well received.

Edit: after a reading a couple reviews, if this isn't an improved version, I suggest avoiding
    Last edited by Kchrpm; July 19th, 2017 at 11:44 AM.

Yeah, PSN has had it since the PS4 came out, or pretty early in it's life cycle. We used to just use Skype, when playing games. This seems even further backwards, the more I hear about it.

Nintendo really cocked it up with their online services. Which is surprising, considering how hard they are trying to push into it.

Thankfully I didn't buy a Switch for online gaming, so it doesn't hurt me too much.

It reminds me so much with Wii U, actually. They made this amazing new tool, Miiverse, with functionality that the competition still hasn't really even attempted to match, but doesn't have the core voice functionality that is seemingly table stakes.

So then the Switch gets rid of Miiverse, adds what may become a shared secondary app for all of their major online titles with various functionality, but then gimps the voice chat. Two steps forward, two steps back.

I wonder if there's some Japanese cultural thing we're missing, like how Japanese gamers don't have much/any interest in first person shooters. I'll go ask Doug on Facebook.

But Sony...

Sony is huge and has more money to invest in development of such things.

From Doug

1. Console gaming has been sliding out of the mainstream in Japan. The PlayStation 2 and Wii were the last two major-hit home consoles, while the DS, 3DS, and now as well mobile gaming has taken over. The reasons for this are a mix of development capability and costs.

2. Online gaming as a whole here focuses less on speech and voice. Why? Probably cultural, to sum it easily. Language plays a part too - ever see (and kinda laugh at) those "chat wheels" that pop up phrases in some games in lieu of/addition to voice chat? It's much easier in Japanese to say something effective in a very short phrase than in English.

3. Nintendo as a whole is a very little-c conservative company. As in, they don't push the boundaries and are worried about their family-friendly image. Hence Friend Codes. Hence convoluted chat. Hence this Switch voice chat situation.

Junior Potato
    Want a good idea of what's important to Japanese gamers?

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/05/th...kart-8-deluxe/

And thousands of people are queueing up for the CHANCE to buy a Switch.

The list in the link is a few months old, but back then: the top 6 games were on Nintendo consoles, and only two games in the top ten were for Sony consoles. Consistent top seller Horizon Zero Dawn languishes in 26th place. Microsoft doesn't even have a chance in Japan, except for Minecraft, but people buy that on PS4 anyway.

Junior Potato
    So Splatoon 2 is heaps-o-fun. I haven't played online yet because CBF'd, but I can tell early on that single player will be a typically excellent Nintendo romp. You can see the classic challenge coming out, but without the shackles of it being a Mario or Zelda. I did a boss fight against a giant demented kitchen stove, with plenty of puns baked into the dialogue. It's sassy and cool. Dipping into goo as a squid is so good.