Page 2 of 100 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Switch (was: Nintendo NX)

^ yup

Yeah, that all makes sense. I definitely see the logic.

I will bet that "great price" isn't *critical* if they can offer the other components. Nintendo still has a strong brand, and I'll bet there are a lot of people who'd almost be in it for Mario Kart or Zelda and "real" ports would push them over the edge. Although, based on past performance I'm not entirely sure how you convince people of the truth. Maybe Nintendo should take a cue from Nvidia and AMD, and "sponsor" a 2nd party cross-platform title. A poor example*, but making GTAVI an NX Day One bundle with short-term exclusivity would do wonders for that.

* Just trying to think of a big cross-platform independent release.

Junior Potato
    Whatever third-party game devs have to do, its not simply a matter of trying to fit PS4/Xbone games into the Nintendo platform. Since the opening days of the GameCube, and perhaps going back to the beginning of the PlayStation, Nintendo's consoles have increasingly been seen as their own ecosystem, and as a result cross-platform games appearing on Nintendo consoles has been incredibly rare.

So a developer can't just invest in one game that can appear on four platforms (if you include PC, which is the way that the PS & XB have been going). They have to make a game for three platforms, and an entirely different game just for Nintendo.

I base this argument on the fact that hardware for Nintendo is very different to the other three, which are now almost the same, and that the control input is vastly different than what it was in the 'Cube era, so the entire user experience is unique.

In the past everyone in the console world used to copy Nintendo, nowadays Nintendo does its own thing and everyone else just sort of ignores them while they all do something else. It's as if Nintendo innovated everyone else out of the console sandpit, so they went to play in the PC sandpit. I don't think it's a bad thing. I just don't see the two sandpits as competing against each other any more.

Indeed, Nintendo needs to get their hardware in-line with the PC/PS4/XBox One architecture so that porting is simple. Back in the GameCube/PS2/XBox days, all three of the major consoles were quite different from each other, despite having similar levels of overall power, so each needed separate versions to a greater extent than now. There were still plenty of cross-platform releases, but they were storage limited (since the Cube didn't use full-size discs), and Nintendo was still more focused on marketing their own first party output and helping third parties.

The Wii was an anomaly in many ways that they were very unlikely to fully replicate, and in attempting to do so only replicated the slow days and not the explosive initial sales.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Maybe they'll make it full VR. I have a feeling they're not going to try and keep up with the Joneses... They have always done their own thing.

In June of 2015, Miyamoto said that VR didn't fit Nintendo's current philosophy. In February of this year, they said they were "looking into it." Either epic fake out, or they're not really that interested.

*keeps looking*

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/2/108...lity-vr-return
    Nintendo is reportedly exploring a return to virtual reality, with the company's president Tatsumi Kimishima describing VR as "interesting technology" in a recent earnings calls. According to a report from the Financial Times, the Japanese firm says it's researching virtual reality but has no specific plans to launch any products any time soon.

Sometimes I have to remind myself how much hardware innovation Nintendo has actually done, because I think pre-Wii and it doesn't seem like much, but post-NES and pre-Wii, they did introduce shoulder buttons, analog sticks, 4 controller ports and RF wireless controllers (or maybe just first party ones?) to the home console market, IIRC.

Why only post NES? The NES invented the D-pad. And they pretty much invented the portable market.
    Hell, they invented VR with the Virtual Boy waaaaaaaay ahead of it's time.

Apparently they even had a Famicom modem (Japan only) in 1988. Never knew that before.

Quote Originally Posted by 21Kid View Post
    Why only post NES? The NES invented the D-pad.
    I did not know that

And Virtual Boy doesn't count because it was a complete and utter failure

Only because technology wasn't up to speed with N's vision.