Page 93 of 100 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Switch (was: Nintendo NX)

Junior Potato
    Oh yeah, it’s still awesome. I played it on an emulator recently.

But with the clock speed being as it is, it’ll run at 20fps and look terrible. Simply pushing up the frame rate would increase the game speed unfortunately.

Unless you had access to the source code… and we already know that Nintendo is extremely averse to modifying software that they’ve already published unless it’s a full remake.

Administrator
    Hah, that reminds me of my first time playing Wing Commander, where what was supposed to be like a 5 minute dogfight took about 3.8 seconds and you had no idea what happened.

Junior Potato
    UUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I've had an "expensive" September, but thank Bowser for credit card rewards, as my total out of pocket costs have been close to zero for the below:

• Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Fantastic strategy RPG, with an interesting overall premise. It gets a bit bogged down by all the person stories each of the many characters have, but I imagine there's a lot of people that are interested in that. I'm part way through my second of four overall paths one can take (80ish hours). Unfortunately the first half of each path seems to be the same, from what I can tell. But the latter half is where things are different. After I get through this second path, I'll likely take a break to get to the other stuff below, then come back to this later sometime.
    • Astral Chain - Only played a couple hours so far, but I can tell it's quality already. Action game with RPG elements? Action RPG? I never know how to categorize things these days. Great overall style, and the fighting system is really interesting with the chained legion characters.
    • GRID Autosport - Possibly the first sim-ish racing game on Switch. I'm surprised to like it as much as I do. It seems to be more focused on racing vs car collecting, which is good. It looks very good in handheld, but kinda falls apart in docked mode. But that's ok, if I want to race on my TV, I have better games (imo). A little bit of a bummer that there's no analog triggers on Switch, but the dual stick setup, ala GT of years past, works pretty well.
    • Link's Awakening - Haven't played yet, but the original Game Boy game was one of my favorites way back when. I'm hoping by the time I get to this, there will be a performance patch, or an update that allows for the blur to be turned off... but even if not, I'm sure I'll enjoy the hell out of this.
    • Dragon Quest XI - Played a few hours of the demo, then set it down, because I didn't want to get too deep into it when I had other games to get through. As someone who's generally enjoyed JRPGs, I'm surprised I have never played a DQ game before. I'm so happy that I got this one though. It's wonderfully charming in almost every way, and the world looks huge. The usual turn based battle system, and options that come with it look solid as well.
    • Untitled Goose Game - Just played this last night with the "help" of my girlfriend, an amazing wonderful little "puzzler" where you play a goose and harass villagers to accomplish your goals. I couldn't stop laughing. Some of the little challenges were surprisingly difficult too!

Separately, I also finally played a couple hours of GRIS. An art heavy, simple/easy platformer. It's just amazing to look at, I basically bought it to support the artists behind it, I'd almost rather watch someone else play it, but the visual quality would take a hit watching a stream vs playing it myself, and that'd be a big bummer. The whole game is hand drawn, and colored in with mostly water colors for a beautiful effect.

For my tastes, and gaming availability, the Switch has easily become my favorite system of all time, it's kinda crazy considering how skeptical of it I was way back when it was rumored.

Junior Potato
    Link’s awakening is amazing. This might sound odd, but play it on a 5.1 system if you can. The dungeon soundscape/atmosphere is incredible.

I got the collectors edition with the art book and the GameBoy case. It’s such a wonderfully produced product.

So, who *isn't* playing AC:NH?

Me?

Assassins Creed New Hampshire?

Aggressive Coronavirus: Non-existent Healthcare?

You're welcome

TheGoldblum.jpg