Page 44 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Switch (was: Nintendo NX)

In the context of 'normals' motion control is a gimmick, yes. Normal is sitting down with a controller and playing a game. It's the standard that's been in place since 1978. Releasing a very underpowered console that sold tons because you could play Frisbee golf with it is a gimmick, yes. That's the only reason we had one in our house, for party games when I was in the military and actually threw parties regularly. It's not derogatory to call this spade a spade, they made tons of money off of a system that didn't meet the industry expected specifications.

I'm not in tune with this demo at all. It's touted as a Vita killer and I've never even seen a Vita in person. It's just one of those menu options I scroll past in the PS Store. Take it for what it's worth (not much).

It's interesting reading comments from gamers and game developers. Gamers you can see their opinions here and on other forums, and Polygon interviewed several developers. A few are completely uninterested in the concept and think it's going to be a failure nearly on the level of the Wii U, like it's an emperor's new clothes situation, some are undecided or confused, and some are completely over the moon and say it's the gaming dream they've had all their life.

I genuinely don't know what the general reaction will be. The fact it's launching with Zelda and 1-2 Switch, two games that could hardly be more different, and that are distinctly designed to appeal to traditional gaming and motion party games, respectively, and that neither is included with the game, seems like a conscious choice. I have talked to a couple people that don't like the Switch because they don't know what it's trying to be, a serious AAA game machine or a gimmicky, silly party game machine. Nintendo is trying to put in just enough to do both. It won't make the best party or co-op games, it won't make the best AAA games, but it can/will have some of both, and be able to play them anywhere. That makes their message confusing, but potentially appealing to more people.

I think the marketing and excellent 3D Zelda + Mario games in the launch year will mean it does better than the Wii U, but that's a low bar, and I don't know enough about general gamers, general tablet buyers, nor general consumers to make a guess past that.

Within the first week or so of ownership I hope to let a couple different demos play my Switch: a friend that hasn't really played a serious game since NES Zelda, but got a Wii second hand for Guitar Hero; group of friends that includes everyone from non-gamers to casual/party only gamers and a couple "hardcore" people that are on XBox as much or more than me.
    Last edited by Kchrpm; March 1st, 2017 at 06:17 AM.
    Get that weak shit off my track

I think it's just different enough to be 'interesting' but ultimately will just be a conduit through which Nintendo first party games will pass. My only interest in it is to get Mario Kart and whatever Mario game comes along. But I plan to just get a Wii U for that so I probably won't end up with a Switch at all. I'll try it the next time I'm at your place, you almost talked me into a Wii U last time.

The Mario-ness will likely be low when we go to NCM, just Mario Kart 8.

Small thing that I was reminded of while talking to Jason and because of the other console threads: at least the first system update will download in the background, and maybe install in the background as well. Compare this to all the complaints about turning on an XBox One/PS4 to play for an hour only to be stuck staring at a system update download/update screen for most of it.

Coincidentally, the new version of Android lets you download system updates in the background as well. Coincidence!

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    In the context of 'normals' motion control is a gimmick, yes. Normal is sitting down with a controller and playing a game. It's the standard that's been in place since 1978. Releasing a very underpowered console that sold tons because you could play Frisbee golf with it is a gimmick, yes. That's the only reason we had one in our house, for party games when I was in the military and actually threw parties regularly. It's not derogatory to call this spade a spade, they made tons of money off of a system that didn't meet the industry expected specifications.

I'm not in tune with this demo at all. It's touted as a Vita killer and I've never even seen a Vita in person. It's just one of those menu options I scroll past in the PS Store. Take it for what it's worth (not much).
    I still don't understand how motion control is a gimmick if both casuals/normals and gamers alike enjoyed it enough to buy the system and games in spades, and then both Sony and Microsoft hopped on board until they moved to VR. In fact casual gamers/normals *like* motion controls more than 'normal' controls because it's more interactive. If anything that isn't a standard controller is a gimmick, then everything Nintendo, Sega, Sony, and Microsoft has done since the 1980s is 'gimmicky' in some fashion or another.

To me 'gimmick' means something that doesn't work well, or have any use, but can be used to sell an item. The 3D function of the 3DS is something I'd consider gimmicky because it didn't actually do anything to gameplay, and doesn't work that well for many people... but hey it's 3D, and that's something you can sell. Whereas motion controls actually change the gameplay, and if done right, work really well.

Maybe we just think of the term gimmick differently?
    Last edited by Jason; March 1st, 2017 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Maybe we just thinking of the term gimmick differently?
    Yeah, that seems to be the issue.

For example are plastic instruments for music games considered a gimmick? They were of extremely limited use, had explosive popularity and then died off rather quickly and significantly. Those are hallmarks of a gimmick, but they were very good at what they did, and drew in casual and traditional/"hardcore" gamers alike.

I guess it's a matter of if you consider gimmick to be negative or neutral. I default to thinking of it as a negative connotation, but I like Nathan's description of it as just a neutral.

One thing complicating the motion control thing even more is that every new VR gaming solution is standing on the shoulders of motion control games, and most are using that functionality in their controllers. But will VR just be a fad/gimmick?

Yeah, to me if it does it's job well, it's not a gimmick. Regardless of how popular or not it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    It won't make the best party or co-op games, it won't make the best AAA games, but it can/will have some of both, and be able to play them anywhere. That makes their message confusing, but potentially appealing to more people.
    Small point to interject but I don't think horsepower dictates whether or not something is "the best". Is there another fun racer that has sold more than Mario Kart 8, for example?

Do something, do it very well, and graphical fidelity can be overlooked even today.

"Best" is another subjective term.

Go into most gaming forums, and ask what makes a game 'the best' and you'll probably get lots of talk about graphics.

Ask the average person, though, and you might hear more about 'fun'.