Page 45 of 95 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Switch (was: Nintendo NX)

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    Small thing that I was reminded of while talking to Jason and because of the other console threads: at least the first system update will download in the background, and maybe install in the background as well. Compare this to all the complaints about turning on an XBox One/PS4 to play for an hour only to be stuck staring at a system update download/update screen for most of it.

Coincidentally, the new version of Android lets you download system updates in the background as well. Coincidence!
    PS4 does system updates in rest mode, some (all?) games require you to accept the EULA and thus won't update until you start the game. The PS3 was hair pulling murder, but I think they upgraded the software and do system updates silently as well now too. Either that or they've stopped updating it completely.

Use the word 'novelty' in place of 'gimmick' if you want, Jason. Other than the NES light gun I can't think of I time where I enjoyed sitting at a console with anything but a d-pad. Not being obtuse, I just can't think of anything outside of the 8-bit light gun and the original Wii.

Unless you count iRacing, but I don't consider that to be a game.

Ah yes, novelty. Looking gimmick it does specifically seem to be negative in connotation, that it's only designed for publicity and not actual value, so novelty does fit better.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Novel/novelty works

Junior Potato
    Guys I can tell you 100% that the 3D screen on a 3DS is not just a gimmick. In a lot of cases it seriously enhances the experience so much that I'm actually genuinely sad that the Switch doesn't also have similar technology. It's one of the reasons why the 3DS is the best gaming machine I have ever bought.

I'll concede that only a very few games use the 3D functionally to affect the gameplay, and a lot of people's experiences would be hella tainted by the vastly inferior first generation 3DS.

Buuut, New 3DS + OoT + Mario 3D Land = awesome. Playing those relatively old titles defined my 2016 in gaming, and being able to experience my favourite iteration of Hyrule again with that extra layer of immersion really made it all worth it. It was a renewed experience that really jumped out at me.

I guess it's a gimmick to me in my limited use. It never looked quite right to me no matter how I setup the sliders. It'd be amazing for like 5 seconds, and then just be kinda blurry if I moved a cm.

Anyways, back to Switch...

Reviews have been pretty rough so far. IGN gave it a 6.2/10 or something, and Wired gave it a 5/10. Others with no scores basically call it a beta test, and there's wide spread problems with connectivity of the left joycon. Also wide spread complaints about lack of online and multimedia features. If Nintendo doesn't get some things fixed early with patches, there's going to be a lot of whining on the internet.

That all being said, for *my* uses, everything seems to look good. Since I'll be either playing with the joycons attached to the tablet, or I'll be using a pro controller when playing at home. Not sure if most people are ponying up for the pro controller though.

Junior Potato
    I'll be getting a Pro Controller, tonight, a mere 3:45 away, if they have stock that's not pre-ordered out.

Or maybe I could save the $$$ and buy Snipper Clips for a bit of MP action and get a controller next week. Who knows? I'm really dirt poor at the moment thanks to buying far too many gaming things lately but eh? YOLO.

Junior Potato
    The Nintendo Switch is available RIGHT NOW in NZ. It's literally in the wild.

But nobody cares about New Zealand so let's move right along, shall we?

Junior Potato
    Look what's in fourth.

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/gam...ered?sort=desc

(Yeah I'm a bit excited, posting useless shit and passing the time until I leave home to pick up my Switch)

Apparently OoT and BotW were running 1&2 earlier on this evening, but a few more scores are coming in and adjusting it's position somewhat.

But imagine... A 19 year old game finally being challenged by it's sequel.

Reviews of Breath of the Wild so far are calling it one of the best ever.

Junior Potato
    I've played Switch! Specifically ball count in 1-2 Switch. The store I'm doing my pickup from has a console set up.

The HD Rumble is legit. Like, really legit.

I truly felt my balls in a box.

Junior Potato
    My first ever game of quick draw. I was on the left, in case it matters.