Page 51 of 100 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Switch (was: Nintendo NX)

Anyone got a bent Switch yet? supposedly they're warping while docked.

Are they overheating or something while docked causing it or is it people not treating it well?

Is this like the bending iPhone hoax from a few years ago?

Wonder if you can rapid charge the Switch in the microwave, too.

Just like "scratchgate" there are a handful of reported incidents so far. Who knows what the actual numbers are relative to the 2 million sold over the last few weeks.

I will say, mine is flat, and it's been through plenty of extended sessions of BotW while docked.

Who wants to sell packages of two c-clamps as a bend-proof Switch case? WE'LL MAKE MILLIONS.

Junior Potato
    The console is mostly plastic, no glass screen etc.

It's got to be more likely that they left it on a shelf in direct sunlight or something stupid, or heated it up and applied some sort of force to bend it.

It gets pretty warm when playing BotW for a few hours but that's nowhere near enough heat to bend the whole thing by itself, and that sort of issue would've been picked up in the 4 year design and testing phase.

Most plastics have to get really hot to melt or even get soft. Hotter than youd want to touch type hot.

Id bet people are twisting them while playing hand held and only noticing it after docking it.

It's also possible there's a manufacturing defect in a handful of Switches that give them a weak point structurally, and the battery heating up, or something puts pressure somewhere. I mean, there's all sorts of possibilities, and we've seen a handful of examples (only a couple what I would call an actual problem), and a couple million units sold. I have a feeling if this were a production wide problem, there'd be more about it in the news.

I've been buying more games than I have time to play, but I figured I'd leave a couple very short reviews:

Fast RMX: F-Zero clone, but a little different. You have to switch booster color before hitting on track boosts, which is a fun twist on the genre. Also you collect boost power on track (kinda like coins in other racers), and in the main mode, you don't lose your boost power when hitting other racers. There is a mode named 'hero mode' which has your boost gauge related to damage, like F-Zero games, so that's cool too. The AI/rubberbanding is both frustrating and keeps the game fun, imo. The AI is far from perfect, and the rubberbanding keeps races close (annoyingly). But, since the AI isn't perfect, they don't finish in the same position every race, meaning you can win a championship with three 3rd place finishes at times, just depends on how they do. On the rubberbanding, it oddly (so far) has made easy mode more difficult if you make clean laps, vs the medium difficulty mode. It seems that the AI doesn't improve with the difficulty, just the speed of the racers, which... I think makes the AI mess up more? But at the same time, it's more difficult to go around the track cleanly yourself, due to the increase in speed. Still need to play more to figure out if it is actually easier or not, in practice.
    I give it an 80 out of 100

Snake Pass: N64 collect them all platform/puzzler. Very basic premise, you control a snake and collect orbs, coins, and gems to get through a stage. Only the 3 gems are needed to unlock the end of a stage, the other stuff is optional (GET 100% zomg!). The real fun of the game is the snake's physics, you really have to be aware of the snake's weight, momentum, and position. The level designs are neat, and the graphics are lush. The game renders at a slightly lower than native resolution, so it looks a bit blurry to some, but looks fine to me. Developers originally developed this for PC/Xbone/PS4, but since they were using Unreal Engine 4, and Nintendo implemented support, it only took them about a week to port it over. It renders at a lower resolution than it's peers, but is surprisingly competitive looks wise. Might bode well for future games that use Unreal Engine or Unity?
    I give it a 75 out of 100

Graceful Explosion Machine: Holy hell this game is fun, intense, and incredibly difficult (or I suck). Basically it's a new take on the old side scrolling spaceship shooter genre. Controls, movement, graphics, sound, everything is very crisp and tightly done. The art design is minimalistic, yet fun. The game starts off easily enough, you have 4 worlds, with 10 levels in each world. The level design, and amount of enemies are set, but their spawn points are randomized. I'm on level 2-10 effectively, and it's kicking my ass, but it's still a lot of fun. Hopefully I don't give up on it hah. All of the above being said, it gets repetitive quickly, due to the nature of the game.
    I give it an 85 out of 100

Human Resource Machine: This is best described as a programming puzzler? I've only played through a handful of levels and haven't played it in a while since I got stuck. I really like the concept, you have a handful of functions, and you have to figure out how to use those functions to meet the demands of the 'boss'. Wonderful design style adds to the unique nature of the game. This is a port of a mobile game that also made it to Wii(U?), the game is primarily controlled by touchscreen, or if you play in docked mode, by motion controls. I prefer the touch screen greatly.
    I give it a 75 out of 100

Snipperclips: Shape (and sometimes physics based) puzzler, hard to describe, but there's video out there. It's a really neat concept that is best played with friends, the 1 player game is kinda boring and frustrating. I want to play more of this game, but it requires having friends, and well, I have none
    I give it an 80 out of 100

Lego City Undercover:
    Port of the Wii U game that is basically GTA in Lego form it seems. I've only played a few minutes, since it's going to be my big solo game after I finish with Zelda. I was talked into it by an acquaintance and online reviews of the original Wii U game. The port doesn't seem to be very well optimized, since it has frame rate struggles here and there, even though the system is more powerful than a Wii U. Apparently ports on other systems are also imperfect, so.... good job developers? That being said, in the few minutes I've played, I found the humor to be a lot of fun. I've never played a Lego game before, so I don't really understand the core concepts of the series yet.
    No score given at this time

Breath of the Wild: Best game ever. Ok, probably not for everyone, but I love it. The game really encourages exploring, and has a lot of fun little puzzles. BUT for all the positive stuff out there, I will say there's a few things they could have improved on to make it even better. Enemy variety could use some work. You have such a huge world, but effectively only like 5 different types of enemies. Also, as beautiful as the graphic style is, they only have a handful of voice acted cinematics, then it snaps right back to text on screen combined with grunts, so it's a little jarring during the few story based sequences. I doubt it'll happen, but it'd be great if Nintendo expanded the voice acting surrounding those scenes. Other than those two relatively minor things, I have no real complaints. I love that the open world truly feels open. Not much in the way of invisible barriers, since you can effectively climb/go anywhere. Which, can also cause problems early in the game . Also whether on purpose or not, there ends up being multiple ways to solve many of the game's challenges due to just how 'free' Nintendo was with certain things. I've definitely solved a handful of puzzles the 'wrong' way, due to sheer hard headedness and luckily having other tools at hand.
    I give it a 99.7821 out of 100

Nintendo Direct on Wednesday for ARMS and Splatoon 2 at 6 pm EST.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Junior Potato
    Neon yellow Joy-Con and AA battery packs announced