Page 87 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Switch (was: Nintendo NX)

Astral Chain looks very good. I like the environments.

I'm all over Mario Maker 2 and Zelda. Awesome Direct.

Junior Potato
    OK so now Microsoft-published Hellblade, FFVIII and a surprise sequel to Hollow Knight have been confirmed for Switch in the coming months.

Hellblade, strangely among few game titles, is best experienced in an environment well and truly isolated from the outside world, so doesn’t fit the Switch ecosystem. But good on them for porting it anyway.

FFVIII we’ve known about for a while. Final Fantasy fans will be excited about this. It’s available right now.

Hollow Knight is a new one. It wasn’t in the Direct. The developer was making an expansion but it expanded so much that it’s a full-blown game now. Here’s the catch: it’s PC and Switch only for now. The game is so popular that it deserves a wider release, so… wow! What a boon for Nintendo’s little console.

Junior Potato
    Guys, there’s a Daemon X Machina demo out on the eShop.

Junior Potato
    Assetto Corsa VR Switch confirmed !!!!!1!1!1!1

https://kotaku.com/nintendo-announce...833111898?IR=T

im so excited for pokemon shield/sword

I'm so exited...to get Yoshi's Crafted World tomorrow - any one else getting it? Demo was good fun

Administrator
    I was debating picking up a Switch, we have this reward-your-fellow-employees thing at work that you can use to buy amazon gift cards, and I've got enough at this point to pay for one. However, it sounds like there might be an updated version coming later this year with beefier hardware. Anybody know anything about that, trying to figure out if it's worth waiting for it.

https://twitch.amazon.com/prime/loot/nintendo?ref_=NSO1
    Free Nintendo online if you have Twitch Prime

Junior Potato
    Tom if you’re on the fence then it may be best to wait and see if the rumours come true.

But if you’re excited just buy one now.

The rumours say there’s a 3DS-style refresh coming, with a beefed-up version and an el-cheapo version, akin to the dual New 3DS/2DS options.

I personally predict:

Any faster Switch would have slightly higher clock speeds that could allow games like BotW to reach a locked 1080/30 while docked (currently it tops out at 900p) and a 4K video output to handle upscaling and perhaps HDR for newer TVs and stream 4K video from YouTube. Maybe even some sort of exclusivity with regards to opening up a catalogue of retro games from N64/GameCube like they did with SNES games on New 3DS models.

A cheaper Switch would have a smaller screen and fixed non-detachable JoyCons to lean into the portable side of things, but still be fully compatible with all accessories so you can have docked and detached JoyCon play, along with efficiency improvements that allow a smaller battery to maintain a similar runtime as the original model.

Both models would ship without a dock (they already sell them like this in Japan), and Nintendo would separately release an optional mini dock (which also doubles as a play stand) that all Switch models can use, with new ones of course being compatible with original docks.

Introducing new models will create the prospect of current owners wanting to upgrade, so they would have to allow backup and transfer of save files to SD card, which would be ace.

That’s just all speculation on my part but I think it seems reasonable. The only sticking point is how stubborn they would be with GameCube games because Nintendo is Nintendo. We will know more at E3, if you can wait that long.

Administrator
    I've been hemming and hawing on whether I'm going to get one for a couple of months now, so what's a couple more months until there's some news.