Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Battlefield 1

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    Yeah, workmates are harping on about it which is making wifey all jealous. Saving for the USA trip has to take priority though - unless the game gets cheap enough.

Junior Potato
    Major gripe with this game: the single player campaign is excellent but it is far too short. Not including collecting extras or playing on harder difficulties, I'm spending only about 1-2 hours on each short story. I'll have it knocked over within a few days.

There's two things I take from this.

1) it's not Halo or CoD; it's primarily a multiplayer game and I haven't even delved into that side of it yet. Yeah. It's a hardcore multiplayer game with proper server browsing and ranks and unlockables. PC level stuff on console. It's far more comprehensive than SW Battlefront ever pretended to be.

2) this probably speaks a lot about how much effort needs to go into building a game of this fidelity in this era. If you're one who takes the time to appreciate the details (and I am one of them) you'll be constantly in awe of the many environments thrown at you in splendid WWI squalor. I spent much of Wednesday evening scouting ahead for my tank crew in a misty French forest, sometimes finding myself marvelling at the types of rock formations and the different species of moss and fungi that grow on them. All of this has to be 100% faithful to the real location, otherwise what's the point? And it's not just environments. It's weapons and vehicles and equipment and props and scene dressings and little things. I think Frostbite is probably the best game engine out there for shooters, but damn it takes some work on the part of the artists to make it tick. I remember watching clips of the crew travelling to the real life filming location for Endor and you could only get a hint of the amount of work they did to capture it.

I'm really humbled by the whole spectacle here - some scenes such as no man's land in the Friends In High Places story literally make me shake my head with disbelief that this actually happened, and continued for years - and I just wish the game spent more time feeding it to you.

Dude. Battlefield has always focused more on MP than on SP.

Junior Potato
    True. And yet, BF3 on last-gen consoles had quite a comprehensive single player campaign. I played the Xbox version and it even split the MP and SP modes onto separate discs.

I keep forgetting these games even have single player stories.

I dunno. The BF3 story was ok but I couldn't even be bothered to finish 4's. Yet I finished cod ghosts!

Junior Potato
    I have CoD Ghosts. It came free with my PS4 GTA V bundle, which also had a free copy of FarCry 4.

I only kept it because its trade-in value was $10.

I played it for two hours and never touched it again. Post-Modern Warfare (but not Postmodern Warfare) I've found all CoD games to be far too outlandish and Hollywood-ey in their set pieces. Just giant loads of crap.

As Cam would say, deleted!

But that's kind of hard with a Blu-Ray disc, so… frisbeed?

They acknowledged the outlandishness of COD with BLOPS3. And I think this new one takes it even further.

Whereas BF1 seems to go back to the core mechanics of what made the series great. At least that's my feeling so far, I haven't had any screen time with BF1 outside the beta, and have only seen commercials for the new COD. But, I don't think any more is needed honestly.

Yeah, I didn't like Ghosts but I felt I owed it to finish the game.

Interesting. The praise for the game seems to be pretty high, at least for Multiplayer... But I listened to a podcast where a British guy, who's a WW1 history buff like me, shat all over how completely ridiculous, over-the-top and not respectful at all to the Great War the single player campaigns were.

Is it true the first mission has you basically play a completely invulnerable 1910s Iron Man laying waste to an entire army by yourself? I know you have to take some liberties to make a game about war FUN, but that seems a tad ridiculous.