Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA GTX 1080 and 1070

NVIDIA GTX 1080 and 1070

Pretty big announcement from NVIDIA yesterday. They introduced the GTX 10-series cards.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/...cing-revealed/

Absolutely insane power and efficiency at a really good price point. I may actually upgrade my 980ftw for one of these in the future. Holy shit.

Quote Originally Posted by ars technica
    After numerous rumours and a supposed "several billion dollars" spent on R&D, Nvidia's first consumer graphics cards based on its Pascal architecture are here: the GTX 1080 and GTX 1070. The GTX 1080 will retail for $599 (~£450), $50 more than the GTX 980 cost at launch, while the GTX 1070 will retail for $379 (~£270), again $50 more than the previous generation card. The 1080 launches on May 27, with the 1070 following on June 10.

While it's surprising Nvidia has raised the price of its flagship graphics cards—particularly given AMD's bold claims that its Polaris architecture will offer VR-ready performance at a "mainstream" price point—the company claims that both cards are significantly faster than its current flagships, the GTX Titan X and GTX 980 Ti, which retail for $1000 (£800) and $650 (£550) respectively. In the case of the GTX 1080, Nvidia claims it's twice as fast as the Titan X in certain VR applications and three times as energy efficient—it even says it's faster than dual-SLI 980 setup.

The performance boost comes from the combination of a new GPU microarchitecture (Pascal) with a leaner TSMC 16nm FinFET manufacturing process. The GTX 1080 also makes use of faster Micron GDDR5X memory, resulting in an impressive 10Gbps memory pipe. Meanwhile, the GTX 1070 will use standard GDDR5 memory.

Nvidia hasn't revealed the full technical specs for the cards—likely saving them for when reviews drop later this month—but did confirm that the GTX 1080 will push around 9 TFLOPS of (likely single-precision floating point) performance from a chip built around 7.2 billion transistors. By comparison the Titan X pushes around 7 TFLOPS from its 8 billion transistors. The GTX 1070 is said to push 6.5 TFLOPS.

While that's not a huge increase over the Titan X, the more efficient Pascal architecture has allowed Nvidia to dramatically increase the clock speed of the GTX 1080 to 2144Mhz on air cooling. That's well over the 1075MHz speeds of the GTX Titan X and GTX 980 Ti, and—if Nvidia's real-time demo is to be believed—the card hits only 67 degrees under load, leaving plenty of headroom for overclocking.

Guy at work and i were talking about this tonight.

The 1070 is supposed to top the Titan X AND be basically a third the cost? nice.(well at least according to the article I read)

Administrator
    Hmm...I usually skip generations on video cards, but I might make the leap from my 970...

Yeah, if it's worth the upgrade, given my Oculus, then I might do that too. Then I can move the 970 into my work desktop.

Holy cow! That's quite a deal!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatScawt View Post
    I may actually upgrade my 980ftw for one of these in the future.
    How much would you sell the 980 for?

I would wait and see what Polaris holds.

Bill, if you do end up interested in it after everything else has been revealed, let me know. I will absolutely hook you up.

Trickle down economics at work
    Get that weak shit off my track

Free market Capitalism!!! Will do Scawt.