Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Well crap.

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar
    It's 4 years old. It has way less stuff than those screens.

If I hit escape at POST, it lets me hit F9 to choose a boot device. It shows the CD. Selecting it does not work.

A couple of years or so ago I bought an mSATA drive for it. The BIOS would not boot the hard drive with the mSATA installed. I had to install a boot manager (https://sourceforge.net/projects/air-boot/) on the mSATA drive to have it redirect to the hard drive.

I removed the mSATA drive and tried to boot again. It still won't boot the CD but now the start up repair seems to be working. Before it basically told me that I was fucked and didn't even try to do shit to fix start up. As I type this, it's trying roll back to the last "checkpoint" so I may lose a software install. Fingers crossed.
    Last edited by overpowered; May 10th, 2016 at 04:31 PM.

It finally rebooted but I'm back to the color logo followed by black screen. Fuck.

BTW, it came with 7 and I bought it before 8 was even fully released (may have been available as a preview).

Have you ever checked to see if there is a BIOS update?

I have never heard of a laptop that won't boot from other devices. I don't fully understand the relationship between your hard and mSATA drive, either, though, so I may be missing something here.

I was getting too frustrated so I dropped it for a couple of days. Back on it today.

I got a message that it had shut down due to being overheated on one of the boot attempts. I cleaned all the vents and fans with compressed air.

I was looking through HP forums and found some stuff I posted back when I was trying to figure out how to make the mSATA work. I actually used UBCD back then so it used to boot. That's makes it even more perplexing. Maybe I should track down an older version of UBCD. Maybe the laptop doesn't like the recent version of UBCD?

I also removed AiR-Boot with bootrec /fixmbr to remove another variable. No effect on the CD or the flash copy of UBCD.

I tried doing the command line thing from windows recovery. I don't seem to be able to schedule a chkdsk/f on next boot because the volume is locked. That's annoying.

Found an option in the graphical part of the recovery stuff to run chkdsk but it's running in read only mode.

It appeared to say something went wrong at the end but as soon as chkdsk finishes the window goes away so I didn't have time to read it.

I feel like a rat in a maze.
    Last edited by overpowered; May 14th, 2016 at 06:29 PM.

Totally forgot about F8 on boot to start safe mode with a command prompt. Running a proper chkdsk/f/r/x now.

Since I turned on the slow options, chkdisk is taking a long time.

I've downloaded the last four versions of the BIOS. I'm currently at the latest. If the chkdsk doesn't fix it (which I doubt it will), I will try downgrading the BIOS and see what happens with the CD boot situation.

I got a message on power-up that the thing had overheated so I tried to clean the inside. I can't really get to anything but the exhaust heat sinks and intake window for the fans themselves. I suspect that there's more dust in there but as near as I can tell, getting to it will involve taking the laptop almost completely apart, which scares me (saw a video of another HP Envy laptop where the guy had to do that).

Of course, my air compressor broke within 30 seconds of me trying to clean it out (bangs head against the wall).

It appears that the boot problem is somehow related to Sony CD-R blanks. I used a Phillips CD-R blank and it boots fine. That doesn't explain why it wouldn't boot from a USB flash. Maybe it's a response time issue or something. Of course it didn't like the DVD-R either. I don't know. Sigh.

Get bottled air and blow to the fan blades from where ever you can.
    Possible dust goes somewhere else, no matter where.

Boot a Linux, put on drive and screen test and check sensors.
    If nothing is heating but maching hangs my prediction is a toasted BGA or two.

I did blow it out. I think something might be toasted.

Low res video (text, safe mode) seems to work but whenever it tries to go into a higher resolution such as when it boots, the screen goes black.

I've been wanting to replace the hard drive with an SSD so I got one and installed a fresh OS on it and it works fine until it tries to reboot after the installation. I get the Windows 7 startup logo and then black.

Want to punch something again.