Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HyperLoop

HyperLoop

I thought we had a thread about this already?

One of the companies trying to bring this to life tested it for the first time yesterday.

What’s Happening With Hyperloop, Explained

Elon Musk's Original document

Administrator
    I'm unclear as to how this is different from the multitude of roller coasters that already use LIMs to launch the train?

At this stage, it isn't, really (I think this went faster, 300 mph?). They're just showing everyone that they've built something before they get to the vacuum sealed tube stage. Drum up interest/coverage/investors.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Yeah, it's like the first part of many to get this thing going...I think maybe it requires the launch to get up to speed then these other systems take over or something?

Edit: To add, the transportation of goods alone makes this thing very promising...Amazon would probably invest a lot of money into it, separate from the human transport aspect
    Last edited by MR2 Fan; May 12th, 2016 at 11:24 AM.

It definitely changes the nature of contemporary logistics. Right now companies have to plop warehouses everywhere or employ a logistics company (to do it for them) as sending stuff around at 65mph takes a while. If you could set up a center in Nebraska and have goods on a coast in five hours you might build fewer warehouses. I'd definitely agree that while moving people would be great, moving goods is a fantastic achievement.

New York pizza, from New York, via Amazon. MAKE IT SO, ELON.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    New York pizza, from New York, via Amazon. MAKE IT SO, ELON.
    New York Pizza tarnished in a vacuum tube? Fuhgeddaboudit!

Great idea, but not so sure about transporting humans. Besides some sort of natural disaster or terrorist acts along it's track somewhere ahead of your hyperloop vehicle... at least crashing or flying out of the tube at speed of sound probably would just kill you instantly..., but what if mechanical failures caused you to be stuck in the middle of the tube somewhere? How can you get out of it? In a vacuum sealed tube?

Transporting goods can certainly work very well. Get rid of all the semi trucks on the roads! Getting pizza delivered from somewhere far off certainly can be wonderful too!

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Great idea, but not so sure about transporting humans. Besides some sort of natural disaster or terrorist acts along it's track somewhere ahead of your hyperloop vehicle... at least crashing or flying out of the tube at speed of sound probably would just kill you instantly..., but what if mechanical failures caused you to be stuck in the middle of the tube somewhere? How can you get out of it? In a vacuum sealed tube?
    I'd feel safer in that than an airplane during a potential disaster.

So it's Maglev in a tube?