Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HyperLoop

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar
    In order to levitate with only permanent magnets, doesn't that mean magnets running through the entire track? If so, that is a hell of a lot of high powered magnets.

EDIT: Apparently not:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/9/116...k-richard-post
    Last edited by overpowered; May 13th, 2016 at 08:00 AM.

Oh, didn't realize the loop tube not only keep it vacuum on the inside, but also produces magnetic fields that helps levitation? Permanent magnets with unpowered wire loops? Interesting. Don't quite understand how that works...

“Vibranium” hyperloop pods will be 10 times stronger than steel

Hyperloop Transportation Technologies just announced plans to manufacture its transportation pods from a new type of carbon fiber called Vibranium that’s “eight times stronger than aluminum and 10 times stronger than steel alternatives.”

Unlike the fictional material, HTT’s Vibranium isn’t indestructible, but it is incredibly strong. What makes the carbon fiber unique, however, is the fact that it contains embedded sensors that can wirelessly and instantly transmit critical information about the pod, including updates about its temperature, stability, integrity, and more, ensuring the safest possible experience for passengers. Each pod would be constructed with two layers of the material as a failsafe.
    Wow.
    The material was developed in collaboration with a Slovakian company, C2i, which typically manufactures carbon fiber for automobiles and aircraft. One interesting side effect of the partnership? HTT might be bringing a Hyperloop to the Slovakian capital of Bratislava, which would travel between Vienna and Budapest. The company is currently conducting feasibility studies on the concept. The development of Vibranium and the plan to bring the ultrafast rail technology to Europe seems to be HTT’s latest attempts to differentiate itself from its rival, Hyperloop Technologies.
    My money's on this happening everywhere else before it gets approval in the US.

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar
    Did they really have to call it that?

Last I heard, carbon fiber is expensive. How many miles of large tubing are they planning on building?

I think they are reserving Adamantium and Unobtainium for something really special.