Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HyperLoop

Yeah pretty much. The difference between this and a 'normal' Maglev train is the power and electromagnets are inside the vehicle, not on the track. The second video above explains it better.

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar
    The cost at full implementation is going to be insane.

Lots of real estate required.

2.5g is good for a roller coaster. It's not so good for elderly people or people with heart conditions. Probably not good for very young children either.

Those speeds are going to require very, very wide turns to limit g-forces, which will limit real estate options. This will be true even for cargo since some cargo will not be all that g-force tolerant.

I do wonder what happens when the near vacuum is broken? Obviously, the train will have to slow down but what happens if you have an implosive event while the train is going 700mph? I don't think I understand the physics well enough to speculate but it seems like it could be bad.

Planes are semi-protected by their altitude. It's hard for someone without significant technology (that terrorists tend not to have access to) to shoot down a plane at 30,000 feet. The tube could likely be compromised by an I.E.D. that any idiot could make and hundreds of miles or thousands of miles of track might be tough to secure against that.

Maybe they've worked out all of these issues. Maybe they haven't. I haven't really looked all that deeply into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
    Yeah pretty much. The difference between this and a 'normal' Maglev train is the power and electromagnets are inside the vehicle, not on the track.
    And that the tube will be a vacuum, so there's no air resistance.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Junior Potato
    Why would a terrorist wait until a Hyperloop system was built to stage an attack on it?

Why not just do it right now to the multitude of high-speed rail lines all over the world?

Or even attack the normal-speed rail lines at rush hour?

It doesn't really take a terrorist to derail a train. A car would do. Granted, no cars will ever cross path of this thing, but what about the remote possibility of earthquakes or other natural/man made disasters?

Flying out of the tube at speed of sound?

Or maybe still in the tube but lost vacuum?

What about lost of cabin pressure due to mechanical failure and the tube is still at 0 pressure?

Anyway, at least the # of lives lost will be less than plane crash. Perhaps they can reduce # of incidences just as much as commercial aviation.

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Why would a terrorist wait until a Hyperloop system was built to stage an attack on it?

Why not just do it right now to the multitude of high-speed rail lines all over the world?

Or even attack the normal-speed rail lines at rush hour?
    While not particularly common, they do happen:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ailway_systems

Of course, a rush hour commuter train might not be going that fast so there could be a fair number of survivors, depending upon the speed and how the crash happens.

This will be at very high speeds making it virtually guaranteed lethal for all on board. It's also going to be much more visible and symbolic, which makes it attractive to psychos.

Junior Potato
    Thanks for the serious and well thought-out answers, but I was trying to point out how stupid it is to continually worry about hypothetical incidents like this when the subject comes up out of nowhere.

"New thingy is being built and I like it, but I've imagined in my own head a scenario where everyone on board DIES so let's talk about that instead of marveling at the new technology and out-of-box thinking that is making it all possible."

The terrorists win if you think like this, you know?

I just ponder how they think they'll have enough energy in the batteries alone to maintain speed and levitation.
    I mean there's a reason all the current versions do it the other way around..

No air drag in vacuum and no mechanical friction with mag lev so don't need energy to maintain constant speed, just need energy to accelerate/decelerate and levitate.

A lot of fuel/energy savings for sure...

Just wonder how cost effective and safe are the tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by Drachen596 View Post
    I just ponder how they think they'll have enough energy in the batteries alone to maintain speed and levitation.
    I mean there's a reason all the current versions do it the other way around..
    It's completely different than current versions. The low-pressure system reduces the power needed to overcome wind resistance, and they have permanent magnets, not powered ones.

“There are a number of great things about this system. The first is that the levitation system doesn’t take any power. The car uses permanent magnets, not super-cooled superconducting magnets like Japan’s SCMaglev system uses. The track’s just got passive conductors embedded in it. Since the system doesn’t take power to levitate the car, it’s much easier to build larger versions of the system as needed.”