Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: That IT moment - smh

FML, this has been killing me.

xe sr-create host-uuid=77beda08-49dd-49a6-8a53-698fb80ef231 content-type=user type=lvm device-config:device=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-36842b2b004e742001eab1c8409547f28 shared=false name-label="2x300GB SR"

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar

Whoa, that's like bofh old! Good times.

I got a call today from one of those scammers who wanted to let me know my network was infected. I knew immediately what was going on of course, so I took the opportunity to play with the caller a bit. "Oh yeah? What's the IP address of the computer? What's my Dell customer number?" etc. To her credit, they answered every question but the details were all wrong. Definitely enough to screw with the average Joe, though. Halfway through the call, I couldn't take it anymore and said, "Listen, you may not be aware of this but your call is fraudulent and what you're doing is illegal." She disagreed, and repeated a bunch of stuff she'd said before. I said, "I appreciate all that, but all the information you've given me is somewhere between inaccurate and impossible and I am telling you that you are possibly unknowingly committing a crime." Then things got a little iffy - she said "Is your name not X? Is your email address not Y?" She knew personal information, and it made me doubt by assessment - the email address she provided has only ever been used to make purchases from Dell! It has never been used anywhere else. Then she volunteered "This is in regards to an Inspiron computer you purchased from Dell" and it re-solidified my opinion... while I have purchased Inspirons from Dell, I have never done so using the email address she provided...

Turns out the scam is this:

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/02/d...ice-tag-scams/

And what sucks is that it clearly reflects some sort of data leak at or near Dell. She knew my name, phone number and my email address but did not know what I'd bought, my customer number, my purchase ID, etc. Because nothing unique to Dell or finance-related was compromised, I am wondering now if maybe the leak is with marketing people, maybe internal or external. People who would know stuff like name & number, but wouldn't have access to account information.

Very weird. I felt bad for the caller. I think she really thinks she works for Dell. A straight-up scammer would disconnect the call, but she gave me her name, an 888 call back number, and sounded genuinely offended when I told her she was committing a crime.

Did you call back?
    Whoomah!

I didn't, but I know the number isn't Dell's and Google seems to think it's an IP phone with a poor reputation. When I get scam calls I always try and get information out of the caller - where they're located, names, addresses, phone numbers. I usually follow up "What's your address" with "So I know where to serve the lawsuit." This call was clearly voip and the caller was clearly foreign.