Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lend me your antivirus suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by JoshInKC View Post
    Terrible name. First time I saw it (on someone else's pc), I was like "WTF? Gotta kill that thing. What kind of idiot hacker gives his virus such an obvious name?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
    I'm sure MSE isn't the best, but it's certainly better than not running anything, or something which hasn't been updated in months, never mind someone who hasn't run a scan on their PC in years.
    Yep x2

Switch to a Chromebook Viruses can't do anything, and neither can you!

In all serious-ness, my parents can sometimes be like RWA's dad, though they have gotten better over the years. I was hoping to convince my mom to get a Chromebook for her latest casual computer, so that I wouldn't have to deal with weird Windows 10 stuff that I will have no experience with, but alas, she couldn't make the jump. Fast forward less than a month and we have to figure out why all of her card games suddenly stopped working. Apparently, whenever they update, they break, and you have to uninstall and re-install them. All her saves get erased in the process, so everything she has unlocked then gets locked again.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Google finds major flaws in Symantec and other anti-virus programs: https://www.engadget.com/2016/06/29/...ad-as-it-gets/
    Get that weak shit off my track

Female Masturbatory Aid
    I've been using AVG for years. While they have a free version, the one I bought was $40 with lifetime updates, if memory serves (been many years).

Man-horse double blowjob?

Offering?

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    Google finds major flaws in Symantec and other anti-virus programs: https://www.engadget.com/2016/06/29/...ad-as-it-gets/
    Jeebus.

The worst part of that is all of the computers sold with pre-installed nagware that includes 30-day trials for these antivirus programs. I doubt a lot of people actually do continue to subscribe to them and just leave it as their first line of defense, which means there are millions of PCs out there with gates essentially wide open.

He even questioned the wisdom of using antivirus software in the first place, calling it "a significant tradeoff in terms of increasing [the] attack surface.
    Long time believer in this.

Is his point that vulnerabilities in the add-on anti-virus software add to the possible numbers/ways/methods of attack? Or is he trying to make some point about anti-virus protection in general?
    Whoomah!

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar
    I relied on MSE for years. Caught something recently, which included a boot record virus. Install Avast and did a scan from boot which took it out. Not sure how it compares with others. I used AVG many years ago but it got obnoxious for a while there and I got rid of it. Avoid McAfee.

Kaspersky 4 Ly43 (or at least since I switched away from Norton to it in around 2006-07).