Page 1 of 49 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Police killing black people

Police killing black people

I'm not even going to link to the video from Minnesota yesterday. You can easily find it if you want to, and it's absolutely horrible. I almost started crying at work because I watched it.

I would say this shit is getting out of hand, but I suspect it's always been this way, the only difference now is that people all have cameras so we can actually see how awful it is.

Adam mentioned the other one on FB, and I had to ask which one he was talking about because there were 2 of them within a day of each other. It makes me sick to my stomach.

The Minnesota one is horribly graphic even though it doesn't show the actual shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sad, little man View Post
    it's always been this way, the only difference now is that people all have cameras so we can actually see how awful it is.
    This.

In Chicago, we've plugged 9 people this year, which is a year-over-year decline from 2015 (25 total), which itself was quite a bit lower than the 40-60 annually from previous years.

However, we're up to 2066 total people shot (up 54% year-over-year; 2015 had 2996 total) and have a pathetic 19.2% homicide clearance rate, so that's not so good.

I totally disagree that it's always been this way. The proliferation of firearms has led to this. People used to solve their issues with a fist. Now they do it with a gun.

I'd love to see the NRA's comments on this.

Unfortunately, the Police are a slice of the population just like any other job. And some people are just not mentally prepared to be a Police Officer. And thus we have incidents like this.

I get that it's a tough, stressful, life or death job, it just seems like so many cops have been making so many fuckheaded decisions, and again, I hate to say "lately" because this has probably been going on for a while.

With all due respect Phil, correct me if I'm wrong, but you appear to be from an upper-middle-class Caucasian upbringing. I think you just do not realise how differently African Americans are treated.

I learned stuff in my American history class that makes me nauseous.

Police shootings probably peaked in the early 1980s when crime in general was high, and court rulings on use of force were more lax. Prior to TN V Garner in 1985, police could shoot non-violent fleeing felons. I say probably because nobody was keeping track until relatively recently.

However, they might have generally been less lethal in spite of less-advanced EMS. 6 shots of the then-typical .38 Special were probably less effective than 13-17 shots of modern 9mm/.40S&W hollow points.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    With all due respect Phil, correct me if I'm wrong, but you appear to be from an upper-middle-class Caucasian upbringing. I think you just do not realise how differently African Americans are treated.

I learned stuff in my American history class that makes me nauseous.
    Your wrong. My cousin has been married to an African American for close to twenty years. I firmly know how African Americans are treated. It's sad that my cousin and husband have to tell their kids that they will be treated differently by the police, in general, because of the color of their skin. That if they are ever approached by a police officer, or pulled over by a police officer that they need to do everything the police officer is asking immediately because of the color of their skin.

I've even been in the car and experienced some of it when they were traveling with me.

That was such a condescending post. Shame on you.