Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokemon GO

Can I take it back to the shelter after? I don't really like dogs.
    Get that weak shit off my track

A bit of a click bait title... but the information about what permissions this game has on your mobile is accurate and kind of alarming.

http://blackbag.gawker.com/pokemon-g...rac-1783461240

Female Masturbatory Aid
    Yep, and the three fuckwits from Missouri proves that.

The Missouri guys aren't getting that information about other people, they were likely just hanging out at one of the popular locations and waiting for people to show up alone.

When you submit your app, there are things in the API for Google account access that says what things you need access to. Pokemon Go's developer tagged everything instead of just what they needed (which from what I can tell is just that you have an account and what it is, nothing else is used). Any information they would have accessed (which they and Google have said is none) would just go up to their servers, not be posted publicly for everyone to see unless they purposefully did so, and they'd have no business reason to do so.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    Either way, they're still fuckwits.

But this data that is stored on an non-Google server now grants access to anyone's email... To even send email as you. Especially in the case where the player was an iPhone user that links their Google account to that mobile device.

There's no reason that iPhones need to grant those kind of permissions. That feels like an unintentional bug, but one with long range consequences. Even if they change the permissions they request, the people who already played have already granted full access.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGeneral View Post
    But this data that is stored on an non-Google server now grants access to anyone's email... To even send email as you.
    Nope.

http://gizmodo.com/can-pokemon-go-re...ils-1783479136

Cybersecurity expert and CEO of Trail of Bits Dan Guido has also cast serious doubt on Reeve’s claim, saying Google tech support told him “full account access” does not mean a third party can read or send or send email, access your files or anything else Reeve claimed. It means Niantic can only read biographical information like email address and phone number.

Google tech support sent a statement to Guido, which he provided to Gizmodo:

In this case, we checked that the Full account access permission refers to most of the My account settings. Specific actions such as sending emails, modifying folders, etc, require explicit permissions to that service (the permission will say “Has access to Gmail”)

--------------------------
    Here’s even more confirmation that Pokémon Go never had the ability to access your Gmail or Calendar. A product security developer at Slack tested the token provided by Pokémon Go and found that it was never able to get data from services like Gmail or Calendar.

also...

Update: Good news! Niantic Labs and The Pokémon Company issued a response to Engadget, confirming that it's not actually reading your emails. Still, it has far more access than is necessary for the game and the company says that while it's working on a fix for the client to only request the correct permission, Google will reduce Pokémon Go's access on its end 'soon.'

Junior Potato
    This is pretty cool.

One of the most coveted gyms is the White House.

http://kotaku.com/pokemon-go-players...ium=Socialflow

Administrator
    It's too bad Google doesn't appear to have the same fine-grained permission settings that Facebook does. You can request all the permissions you want, but you can refuse to give any of them except for the basic email address/name/id data.