Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Phil_SS Unified Fleet Thread

No, but can you have climate controlled sex in a McLaren?

DIDN'T THINK SO.

I play the long game.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    No, but can you have climate controlled sex in a McLaren?

DIDN'T THINK SO.

I play the long game.

I'd rather have the macca than sex in a Prius.

And that's what separates you from the animals.

Impreza: Fully Inspected with new tires. So far the tires have been very nice and a lot less noisy than what was on there. Should be good to go other than usual maintenance for a few years.

Info: The average MPG since I bought the car is 25.8 with a 63/37 split for City/Highway driving. Car has 47500 miles on it.

My wife has finally come around to admitting that my car is cursed. Since my last update I had parked the car at my father-in-laws as we do a car rotation in the summer between our two cars and his car. So that his car gets use while he is out of the country.

Middle of May, my FIL's car required a new battery after sitting all winter. We didn't drive it during the winter because it needs new tires. I changed the battery and started using it for a couple weeks to make sure it was ok. And it is. So I switched back with my car and the rear brakes are making a rubbing sound. I can't hear it when the windows are up so who knows how long it had been like that, we had a long winter where it was cold til like the first week in May so I have no idea how long it had been making the noise.

So I figured, well it had been about 30000 miles since I had changed the rear brakes, maybe it needed new pads. So I ordered the parts and picked them up and put the car on my Dad's lift and started to take the wheels off. And one of the lugs doesn't want to come off. So I had to brake the stud to get it off. This will be the 4th or 5th stud I have had to replace on the rear of the car. It's getting ridiculous.

Anyways, I start looking at the brakes and they look fine but it appears that the grooves that hold the pads onto the bracket are all kinds of gunked up. So they must have been sticking and not releasing fully when I left off the brake pedal. At that point I had both sides basically open. I didn't need to change the pads but the rotors where looking pretty crappy so I just decided to replace the pads and the rotors which I had got on sale and clean everything up as well as possible and put it back together. Goes back together great.

I take my car over to my FIL's and park it since it is time for it to sit during the current rotation. And I go to trade again this past week and the car won't start. Thinking it is the battery I check the voltage and it is good. So it's not the battery. I get my dad to come over so he can watch the engine as I turn it over and he sees that the engine isn't turning over when I try to start it. Ugh, it appears that the starter or starter solenoid is borked on a car that has 58,000 miles on it. Tonight I plan on going over with my Dad and we will try and see it by tapping on the solenoid or starter we can get it to engage.

Also, over the winter, the seat back cushion in the car has gone bad again. Thus my back rests on a cross member. So I have a rolled-up towel that I use to give me some cushion for my back. And my wife backed it into the drive way wall leaving a nice hefty scratch zone on the rear quarter panel.

So, thus Ana I think has finally come around to agreeing with me that the car is cursed. I fully believe in cursed cars and this is one of them.

That sucks to be going through all of that at 58k miles. You should be right at the end of that sweet time when everything just works. The MINI is rapidly exiting that window for us.

Two posts one day. Boom!

Anyways, after driving my FIL's car for a bit I really really like it. And what kind of car is it?

A 2013 Toyota Prius V Five. So the biggest model Prius that they made at one time. They unfortunately don't make the model anymore. But for a commuter car it is fantastic. Comfortable and the gas mileage has been outstanding. This past tank I actually got better than what the car estimates as the range for the car. When fully filling up the tank the car states that the range is 450 miles. This past tank I went 460 miles and a full tank is 10 gallons. For 46 MPG! That is insane-o-mite!

My Impreza at best driving the same route gets about 25-26 MPG. I am all about our electric vehicle overlords. Sign me up. And driving the car is like playing a video game. I try and see how far I can drive on just EV mode. I pull out from stop lights and stopsigns and try to use EV mode as long as possible. I know it sounds goofy but it is fun to drive.

It looks like Subaru is releasing a Crosstrek this fall for the 2019 model year that will be using the Toyota hybrid system and it will be a plug in hybrid. So it will have a pure EV mode for a certain distance.

Finally got around to changing the starter on my car. I had looked up the prices on the web from the usual suspects, Advance, Autozone etc. Prices ranged from $150-300 with a $50 core charge.

Then it clicked in my brain to check the local auto dismantler (All Foreign) which sells used parts in good working order. I check their website and they have one for my car for $25. It's right down the street from where I work so I head on down during lunch and pick one up. Looks good, came from a car with 35K miles.

Changing the starter is pretty easy job on a Subaru due to the boxer engine. So other than the bottom nut giving me a little grief due to lack of space for leverage, the old one came off and the new one went on in about 30 minutes.

My car fired right up.

I still want it gone. Might wait til the spring for that though.
    Last edited by Phil_SS; September 19th, 2018 at 06:51 AM.

Nice.

I see their trucks around Rt. 8 all the time; didn't realize they have a yard. Will have to check them out.

I received a letter a few weeks ago from Subaru stating my car is associated with a recall. I thought maybe the airbag aka Takata. Nope, valve springs. Like WTF. Valve springs!

The recall states that the valve springs in 2012-2013 Imprezas within a certain VIN range can break while driving and cause the car to shut down and thus you may not be able to control the car. Kinda like the ignition switch recall from Chevy.

I called immediately a few weeks ago to see if I could take the car in but they stated they didn't have the parts yet and wouldn't start the recall replacement until sometime at the end of the month. So I called again over the weekend and we arranged a time for today. So, I'll be taking it in this afternoon.

I get a loaner car during the recall work so I'm excited to see what I get. And one good thing about this is that my car was due for an oil change, so they should be doing that as part of the work for the recall.