Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Phil_SS Unified Fleet Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    993 is reasonable?!!??

Don't you mean 996?
    Sorry, yeah. Meant 996.

BTW, I drive the 2013 Impreza Sport. My wife's car is the 2012 VW Sportswagen.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Can you retrofit the stereo? I think most of that era GM head units are essentially compatible. There should also be plenty of aftermarket solutions - the 9-3 Aero has the same corporate head unit as the G8 and there are several BT & interface solutions available for it.
    Yes, you can but it is more complicated than just a head unit. Not saying it can't be done. Just annoying that GM were jagoffs.

https://dltv.wordpress.com/2009/12/0...n-oem-install/

Actually, that's pretty much exactly the same as on a Saab - it's not nearly as big a deal as it sounds. It's an easy afternoon's work. That whole "preflash" thing he's talking about is that you need to have the head unit programmed to your VIN so it will communicate with other CAN modules. You need a tech2 to do that, but any dealer can do it, or anyone with a $250 clone tech2. And, seriously, if you're going to buy a G8 you should seriously just pony up for the tech2 now that they're so cheap.

But there are also aftermarket solutions for this, which might be worth looking at. There are several people that make CAN interfaces for GM that allow them to work with aftermarket head units. The only thing that tends to get compromised is OnStar, which I doubt you'd subscribe to, and sometimes the chimes (doors, turn signals, etc.) but that's mostly not a problem anymore. I had the same head unit in the Solstice (2007) and it was just a couple of modules to install to make the aftermarket head unit work. The advantage of course of going aftermarket is extra features. If you budgeted $600 or $800 on top of the car you'd be easily covered for a professional to do it. My Solstice install cost about $450, I DIY'ed it.

Not selling this, only giving some thoughts to help open up your search.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_SS View Post
    Sorry, yeah. Meant 996.

BTW, I drive the 2013 Impreza Sport. My wife's car is the 2012 VW Sportswagen.
    I vote 996, add about 3-4k into the purchase price for IMSB if it hasn't been done yet. I really loved mine, and it wasn't until it was gone do I realize it. Fantastic car.

A couple of updates.

The Sportswagen was throwin codes and needed a new MAP sensor. So my buddy changed it and the PCV valve gasket. Also had the tranny oil and filter changed. Should be good to go til December when it will require new tires for state inspection.

For the Impreza, state inspection is due this month and it also requires new tires. So I did some research and have decided to go with TireRack's recommendation of the General Tire Altimax RT43. The local shop that does my car inspection is also a General Tire dealer. So in addition to the $50 off from General they are matching the offer as well. So I'll get them for $100 off.

I price compared getting them from Tirerack or from Subaru and neither could match the deal. Both in the end were about $70 more expensive. So the $50 from the local place swung the deal and gives a local shop the business.

Currently we have been rotating the use of the cars with my FIL PriusV to reduce the miles on my car and to give his car some use while he is out of the country. My wife really likes it, though it is a dog somewhat. I think she excepts that it is because it is good for the environment.

She always tells me she misses her 2004 Forester XT until I remind her that it got 15MPG. But she loved the turbozen.
    Last edited by Phil_SS; October 17th, 2017 at 09:40 AM.

Funny how you can let things go when "it's green." Drove a friend's '07 Prius the other day just to see how they age and walked away like, "Yeah, seems about right." But it's not. IT'S SO NOT.

My mom loves her c-max.

I love my truck.

She gets TRIPLE the mpg I get.

The electric drive in the Plug-in Pacifica is surprisingly quick. Considering it weighs as much as a tank. I've been very impressed all around with the vehicle.

I love how quiet it is too. I would definitely look at getting another electric vehicle.
    It's actually a bit depressing when the ICE has to turn on. We went a good 3 weeks on straight electric and one day out running errands the engine turned on, and I panicked for a bit. I started wondering why the car was shaking.

After driving an EV, ICEs seem like they are about to explode at any moment.

But does an EV promote this reaction on startup?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbDMhJRSwr4&t=4m28s