Page 58 of 98 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Thread: dodint's Automotive Evolution

I was troubleshooting the dome lights the other day and got one to work. It probably worked the whole time but was just set to off. The other one just needed the contacts bent a little bit to get it working. It has three setting, delay-off-on. The on works for both, and the delay (door open + 10 seconds) works for the rear one but not the front. I think one of the capacitors in that circuit is toast but I'll have to do actual diagnostic work to find out. The housings are flimsy plastic that rattle. The Porsche 928 had nice metal and glass housings, I'll upgrade to those one day but they're about $80 a piece which is crazy. It'll be one of those 'last mile' things I do after the real problems are sorted.

That's not my car in the LED pictures if that's what you meant. My wheel is fine, but there are some aftermarket solutions that are tasteful and help to modernize the interior a bit more:

The hub adapters are getting scarce, maybe I can pick one up at DCS.

Ah ok -- yeah that wheel looks sharp!

Yeah, there are a few that look real good but most people have gone with that Momo.

Circling back, this is my foot if I decide to rest it behind the pedals (pic is a bit of an optical illusion as my foot is a few inches behind the pedals, resting on the bulkhead):

footlamba.jpg

If I can dump that yellow box and the bracket it's mounted with, by installing the one piece speedo cable, I think I could free up a few inches of room. Maybe if find a way, later on, to fabricate a kick panel so I don't accidentally knock out some of those modules down there. Maybe way down the road look at a way of moving the pedals back. If anything it would be nice to get the accelerator away from that transmission tunnel. That kind of stuff really makes you start to deviate away from what I'm comfortable doing, though. Not a fan of irreversible mods.

Oh, those red/white wired bundles are the capacitors I was talking about earlier for the dome/door lights.

So what's your tire options on this rig? #1.21gigawatts

Right now I'm running a set of Falkens that were purchased in 2011:
    195/60R14
    225/60R15

Stock sizes were:
    195/60R14
    235/60R15

It's very tough to find that stock combination with matching tread. Right now TireRack only has 2 offerings, both 'all season GT tires' from Fuzion and General, nothing to get too excited about. I may buy a set soon just to get updated rubber on it anyway given the age of the current ones.

Supposedly if you fuss with the sizes a little you can find some stuff to fit. Or you can really open up the options by going with mismatched tread. I wouldn't buy slicks for it because I don't want an extra set of wheels around.

It is pretty sweet seeing tires available for $57.

If I go:

215/60R14
    245/60R15

I can get these:

There is a guy running them that says they don't rub. But my car is lowered so I'm not sure. I'd hate to buy them to find out they since they're a bit pricier.

And I used to be sold on the raised white letter sidewall but now I'm not so sure anymore.

The front tire with those is 1" taller than stock, and .7" wider. If it fits I bet it would dull a bit of the road feel that I get in the steering wheel. Probably make turning even more stiff, though.
    Last edited by dodint; January 12th, 2018 at 11:20 AM.

Yeah those sizes look suuuper tough to find in this day & age.

To correct an earlier statement, Tirerack has 0 options in the stock sizes. They have 2 options in the sizes I am currently running.

Uh oh:

pisser.jpg

Looks like a small but significant quantity of coolant. It's clear but really slick/greasy to the touch and if it were water it would've evaporated by now.

Looking through the receipts I can't find many coolant hoses that were upgraded or replaced so I wouldn't be surprised if it's just an old tube or clamp somewhere.

The variable that concerns me is that I haven't driven the car (or turned over the motor) since January 1st. The only thing even closely related to coolant that I did was while I was in the cabin working on a dome light problem.
    I noticed that after driving it last I left the climate control in the Heater setting. I went ahead and spun the dial all the way around to 'exercise' it and left it in the Off setting. The next day I come out to the garage to find a coolant puddle.

Not sure if I should be looking at hose fittings or an AC/Heater component. My guess is the leak could've originated anywhere and pooled there because that was the lowest point the coolant could get to before falling off.

I'll probably end up buying a silicone hose kit and swapping out all the hoses in the system this spring as a general precaution, I'm just worried there is a heater valve or something that is also broke.

I just bought all the parts for a speedometer project I'm doing next so I doubt I'll tackle this coolant issue immediately unless the puddle gets worse.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Yinz are probably sick of my shit, but I happened to have found what I believe is a slicktop 330CI stripper in PA.

https://sterlingmotorcar.com/inventory/2002-bmw-330ci/

If it's still there Tuesday I'll try and trade the 650i on it on Wednesday. Three coupes is silly, but at least this one can do honest winter duty, is the track car I want, and can haul more than the 650i. Especially with no interior. It would set my fleet exactly how I want it for the next few years.
    Came to an agreement to buy this car, assuming it isn't standing in a puddle of its own oil when I get there I will trade the 650i on it on Saturday morning. Since it's a trade in PA and the 650i is worth significantly more than the 330ci I wouldn't have to pay sales tax. Woo.

I'm done falling ass backwards into needles in haystacks for a while, I think.