Page 67 of 98 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast

Thread: dodint's Automotive Evolution

Glad the car is okay, hope you and Ash feel better soon.

Look at those Gran Turismo skills on display.

Quote Originally Posted by CudaMan View Post
    Slow hands are great, until one starts moving the car around underneath them. I'd recommend working on this for when you start road racing. Things are gonna happen even faster. We don't want to see a video of you ending up backwards because of a bump (on track or from another car!) or something. I've seen time and time again a driver who is comfortable with their car seeming so stable that they will never have to correct... until they actually need a reasonably fast correction.

Here's an example of how it can go wrong when hands aren't keeping up with what's needed. Nobody was hurt, the car luckily didn't dig into the dirt and roll. https://www.facebook.com/groups/86cu...60126020870611
    Cuda,

I've been working on my hands. Is this better?

So just do that, but smoother?

Yeah that's going in the right direction! The faster you realize a correction is needed, the smaller the correction has to be. More practice with oversteer control will help fine tune the precision of your recovery (muscle memory). Any drift/rally schools in your area? Do you have a FF wheel for Gran Turismo (or other sim)? Those will all help with the muscle memory thing. Additionally, speeding up your brain on track (this is what makes sense to me anyway) is a great way to catch slides earlier and with more authority. "Not in my house!" I mentally say to the car as I'm on track. This can really speed up my hands when needed, and often (but not always) negate the need to do hand-over-hand corrections. Driving a kart or formula car at/beyond the limits is a fantastic way to speed up your brain -- then the next time you jump in the TT car, you'll be thinking "this is so easy!" When you add grip and stiffen suspension, both of those things contribute to a car requiring faster hands and earlier oversteer detection. Something to keep in mind when you start road racing the BMW.

Thanks for the breakdown.

Karting is great exercise, it strips away almost everything that complicates racing (setups, car features/issues, etc). The Wilson Circuit at PittRace is really well done, too.
    I have a PC VR sim rig with iRacing/rFactor2/Assetto Corsa. What I really need to do is get back into Spec Racer Ford racing on iRacing. They're tail happy, for me, and would be great oversteer correction practice. The problem is, as always, time. Really looking forward to graduating school soon and getting my life back.

I'll have to put some thought into the 'getting ahead of the car' concept. I suppose as I get more comfortable with the car I'll be more willing to push it to the edge to see how it handles on the limit. Right now a lot of what I'm doing is trying to get faster but also never having an off. It's a pretty conservative way to drive but being new to competition and being new to TTN I don't want to be 'that guy' that kills a session by needing a tow out of some mud. I have a greater fear of ruining other peoples session than I do actually hitting anything.

To be completely truthful about that clip above, I had already set my fastest time of the session and knew I only had one or two laps left. I had been talking to the driver of the silver E36 M3 ahead of me through the weekend and we were having fun about who was quicker. I really wanted to close up on his rear view mirror before the end of the session so we could laugh about it during impound. We ended up joking about how he checked the rearview mirror when exiting the corner and he saw me go sideways, he thought I was done for.
    What I think happened was I got greedy and carried too much speed through T1 and when I went over that little crest near the cones the car came unsettled, which is normal. But I got on the throttle immediately to try and make a hard run down the short straight to T3. The rear of the car was light as the weight was shifting to the front from that little dip and when I slammed the throttle the rear just started to come around.
    If I'm reading you correctly I should be anticipating all of that and then making an earlier steering input to catch the slide before it happens and turn it into a 'drift' for my exit for T2. With some application of turning the wheel to the right earlier I can see how I could get ahead of the car there. It's just not a level I'm operating on right now; I plan to get there with time and practice.

I'm so much more comfortable with the car now. I'm catching slides with greater ease, and my trail braking to induce slip angle at turn in is getting much better. I'm moving beyond "brake then turn" and it is getting me cleaner lines through many turns. I'll post my vid of the weekend and I think (hope?) you'll be able to see that I have a higher level of proficiency and commitment than I had in the TNiA video from last year.

Most importantly, this is so much fun. Nothing else like it.

Finally got around to cobbling together my video. First part is the three segments that contributed to my cumulative time. The second part is just a collection of fun traffic and me ham-fisting my way through the wet.

I've started racing the SRF in iRacing lately as well, to work on catching the back end of a car.

Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    What I think happened was I got greedy and carried too much speed through T1 and when I went over that little crest near the cones the car came unsettled, which is normal. But I got on the throttle immediately to try and make a hard run down the short straight to T3. The rear of the car was light as the weight was shifting to the front from that little dip and when I slammed the throttle the rear just started to come around.
    It can be fun to use video and/or data to break down why something happened at the limit. I'm not able to in this case because of the wind noise hiding throttle input sounds and the bounciness of the camera hiding the effect of any bumps. The video is still good for lots of other things as-is.

If I'm reading you correctly I should be anticipating all of that and then making an earlier steering input to catch the slide before it happens and turn it into a 'drift' for my exit for T2. With some application of turning the wheel to the right earlier I can see how I could get ahead of the car there. It's just not a level I'm operating on right now; I plan to get there with time and practice.
    Anticipate, yes to a degree. Some of that will come with experience as you build your internal database of at the limit driving (and track knowledge). By correcting sooner and/or faster (rate of movement of the steering wheel), you wouldn't have had to go hand over hand in this case. Another way of thinking about it: the slide was 'allowed' to build because your countersteering timing was slightly behind the rear end slide.

If your goal is fast lap times more than having fun sliding, then your goal in slide correction ought to be more towards arresting the slide quickly with minimal momentum loss, in which case you wouldn't want a slide to turn into a drift. You'd want to make the slide as small and as brief as possible - providing you're still able to stay on a line that allows you to be fast.

Most importantly, this is so much fun. Nothing else like it.
    Yeah!

I skimmed through your recent TT video at HPT. That rain practice is great for what we're talking about. Did you find some people elected not to go out in that session?

And yeah, you do look generally more confident in this video.

Thanks.

When I wasn't on track I walked over to T8, a hard braking zone chicane. Lots of folks were absolutely tiptoeing through it. I am not sure many people refused to run, they just went very lightly. I did not, but, I happened to have brought Continental DWS's for wet and I had more traction than most. I know this is how I placed so high.

Anecdotally, at the PIRC TTN event it rained for Tracksprint, soaked the course. Lots of people ended up in the field at the bottom of the drop near T13. Cold wet tires in April.

I went back and looked at that video from September, 2018, at the top of the page:

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Ultimately I ended up turning a 2:17.08 with a top speed of 117mph.
    Best lap ever in the SVT Cobra was 2:15.09 with a top speed of 112mph.
    Best lap ever in the BMW 650i was 2:05.71 with a top speed of 117mph.

Initially I was really upset when I did the track day earlier in the summer. Despite giving up 80hp to the Mustang I thought the chassis would be nimble enough to get down to 2:10 once I got to the limit. Not true, I still haven't even gotten down to the Mustang.
    I went back in May of 2019 and ran one 20 minute session. I was helping out with TTN/TNiA and only had a chance to get out on course once, after everyone was checked in and on their way. I ended up running a 2:14.21 which was good, but given I was on brand new 200TW tires improvement was expected. I'm signed up for a TNiA up there next week and really plan to smash through that, I'm going to push to get to 2:09.99. I don't normally go in with a full head of steam at a TNiA but I want to see what I can do now that I'm much more confident, and I want a better benchmark against some folks I'll be competing with at TTN NCM.

I competed in a TTN event at Gingerman last week. Unfortunately my fastest and most interesting laps in the last two sessions were not captured on video. Each event I do I get more and more comfortable in the car. I'm kind of ashamed at how inconsequential some of the things I've fussed over have been, in light of the things I've been able to achieve in the car since then. Video posted because it's a really fun track, you feel like you're turning the whole time.

I figured out a permanent solution for the shaky video, so I should have some really good quality video from NCM next month.