Page 3 of 98 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: dodint's Automotive Evolution

To Russ's last point, there are zero new Sciroccos on Autotrader here because we DIDN'T GET IT.

Who the fuck wants a VW?

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    edit for YW: keep in mind that the US doesn't ever* get the cool hot hatches from anywhere, so the MINI, in addition to being a stylistic statement, is also a pretty good choice for people who like a little zip in their commute.
    But the MINI is NOT a "cool hot hatch". Hate hate hate hate hate hate.

Seriously. Almost anything other than that. Surely 500 Abarth, Mazda3 are the answer. Or 2007 Legacy GT or hawknose WRX/STI. Or just buy the 3000GT VR-4. PLEASE I'M BEGGING YOU

It's funny that all the things YW loathes about the car are things that aren't even on my radar.

$12k gets you a Fiat 500 Pop, maybe a Lounge. Certainly not an Abarth.

Maybe I just enjoy the familiarity. When I look at the interior there are pieces from the E36 and E60 parts bins plainly visible.

I loved my R53 Cooper S -- but it did suffer from electrical gremlins.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    $12k gets you a Fiat 500 Pop, maybe a Lounge. Certainly not an Abarth.
    Maybe not new, but if you're already thinking about buying used European hatchbacks of questionable reliability, $12-13k will buy you used 2013 500 Abarths all day long within 150 miles of Chicago (and even higher mileage 2014s).

I'll take a look, but they weren't there in the Pit-DC cooridor a few days ago. Though I wasn't searching specifically for them either, just browsing Truecar and Carmax with Keith.

This would be decent: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...ngId=438874094

I found about 4 of them in my search radius, which includes NOVA. Problem with the car above is that it's a manual, which I'm not doing for utility purposes. Doesn't seem to be a lot of Abarth automatics, but there are, unsurprisingly, a plethora of MINI's with slushboxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    But the MINI is NOT a "cool hot hatch". Hate hate hate hate hate hate.

Seriously. Almost anything other than that. Surely 500 Abarth, Mazda3 are the answer. Or 2007 Legacy GT or hawknose WRX/STI. Or just buy the 3000GT VR-4. PLEASE I'M BEGGING YOU
    You can't hate on the MINI and then recommend the FIAT "Only 15 years late" 500.
    Whoomah!

The Saab/Volvo dismantlers here in town took on Mini a few years ago, so I get a fair amount of info on Mini reliability... it's the stuff they charge a lot for and never have in stock. It seems kinda bleak, tbh, but I still really really really want a Clubman S JCW. The Mini itself kind of does not impress me - I like the size, but in terms of performance the 7th gen Celica GT-S is a slam dunk - more power, less weight, better chassis, better reliability. The Clubman adds just enough solid practicality that it touches my special car place. Regardless of how the Liberty goes, I will continue shopping for Clubmans and 2nd gen V50s next year. Regardless, I bear no ill will towards the regular Minis. If you can get past the (potential?) cost of ownership it's a fun ride.

Are we talking automatic or manual? Because if the latter, why not FiST? It seems too obvious, so I can only assume it does need to be an auto?