Page 87 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3777858687

Thread: dodint's Automotive Evolution

I've had a productive weekend. Swapped that stupid Cherry Bomb out of the Trailblazer and put that whisper-quiet RockAuto exhaust on yesterday. Super happy with how that turned out.

Today I tackled a job I've been putting off for a year, throttle body actuator replacement (both banks) on the M6 V10. I've never done any serious work on this car beyond an oil change and brake work.

I'll never not be impressed by 10 individual throttle bodies:

Wrist deep in the V, those actuators were way down there:

BMW cheaped out and put plastic gears inside these actuators. The speed and timing of opening the butterfly valves in the ITBs is monitored and controlled down to the millisecond. When the gears lose teeth they unilaterally hiccup and the car shuts down into limp mode to protect itself. All that is fixed now and I can resume revving it up to its 8,200rpm redline.

Still needs:
    -ABS Pump Replacement (still works but is throwing codes)
    -Rod Bearing Replacement (preventative)
    -New clutch (works fine on street but track may start to slip)
    -Headliner fixed

Good work. Do the replacement actuators have more durable gears?

Yeah, they replace the plastic gears with metal then offer a lifetime warranty.

Gears upgraded to superior materials made in the USA that will outlive the car
    All Mosfets replaced
    Transistors and capacitors tested
    Voltage regulator, microprocessor, serial Eprom tested or changed

https://europowermotorsports.com/pro...r-priced-each/
    There is another company that does something similar with the ABS pump, I think I am going to pull that out next week and send it in for repair. I just need to confirm that my scan tool can run the pump on command so I can bleed it.

Replacing with metal gears had occurred to me before, and I had wondered if the added mass would have any effects on the actual VS expected throttle plate positions when it's timed down to the millisecond like that with how quickly these actuators can accelerate/move the plates. There's probably no noticeable effect if this is a popular upgrade.

I only play engineer in my head to be fair.

I had a similar thought but figured it has been well proven. That company doesn't actually do the work, they are an intermediary for an English company.

This video shows some of the process:

The amazing thing is it is about 1/3rd the cost of a new one from BMW.

Had some time this morning before turkey day festivities. I finished assembling the radiator. One of the first things I bought for this build was a CSF triple pass radiator. It's a little wider than stock and snugs the expansion tank up against the pulleys a bit:

There are a few ways to solve this. The most surefire is to grab a $300 M3 expansion tank bracket and $160 M3 expansion tank and relocate it to another part of the engine bay.

Instead, we are going to try some $40 offset radiator mounts. This is a fairly new product and should give me 8mm more clearance.

It's just the mount with the depression moved forward 8mm. Brilliant!