Page 76 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast

Thread: dodint's Automotive Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    I...reached up to the steering column to shift it into drive.
    That's the way you do it.

I do the same thing with my wife's car but in a different way. My Prius has a Start button, so I will reach up to hit the Start button to start or turn off her car, or I have the habit of pulling in and just shutting off the car before putting it into park.

The SRT-4 sold tonight.

We are currently at:
    DD: BMW M6
    Tow pig: E-350
    Track: 330ci
    DD: MINI Cooper (Ashie)

And the R1200CLC which is fantastic at collecting dust. It hasn't been registered in a few years.

Decided that instead of buying a new race car (and new project, therein) I should just knuckle down and finish the one I have. Pulled it out of storage and started working on it again.
    The goal is to get it built to SCCA T3 minimum specs then go to wheel-to-wheel competition school at PittRace in August. Going to leave the differential and suspension stock for now, so it won't be terribly competitive. Once I get my license I can put the rest of the bits in and then it'll be a full SpecE46 car.

This was Sunday:

Fantastic view of the dead motor now that the HVAC system is gone.

Next step is to finish removing the last of the interior, including the sound deadening material. Yank the motor, depin the body harness, paint the interior, then send it to the cage builder. Reassemble it with a hardened motor, lightweight clutch, race exhaust, fire system. My Dad and I are doing most of the work ourselves (other than the cage) so it should be a busy summer.

In the meantime, I'm driving other people's cars. I drove a tuned '18 Focus ST at VIR and took second in class to a Porsche Cayman. Tyler and I are sharing his FR-S in Texas in May. I have a tentative agreement to run a very quick E36 M3 at TT Nationals in June. And I'm racing a VW Rabbit in my first wheel to wheel race in Michigan with Lemons.

Looking to be a pretty fun summer.

Onboard from the VIR event with the Focus:

Nothing too crazy happening, just a nice clean run.

Lemons still at Gingerman?

Yeah. There is an event at PittRace coming up, the owner managed to put himself, Randy Probst, and two other 'real' drivers in the car for its first event. Should be a pretty healthy shakedown. Then I'll step in and drive at Gingerman in June.

I'm debating if I want to go to Gingerman for to see gridlife event in June or just wait for the festival in September. I should, tracks only maybe 45mins away.

I'm hoping Lemons is able to lift their COVID ban on spectators this summer. Right now they're banned, and you have to pay $75/each to bring crew.

Seems to me charging extra for crew defeats the spirit of the race.

It's a disincentivization effort to help with COVID. Generally, when you go road racing each team gets a certain number of crew members that get in. It's kind of an open non-secret that people give unused crew passes to folks so they can bring friends, family, kids, etc. What Lemons is doing is charging a stiff entry fee for 'crew' to keep teams from circulating those passes and saturating the paddock.

Their wording:

IMPORTANT: DUE TO COVID, SPECTATORS ARE NOT ALLOWED AT THIS TIME. ONLY PRE-REGISTERED DRIVERS & CREW CAN ATTEND. WE EXPECT THIS TO CHANGE AS CONDITIONS IMPROVE. THE MOMENT THAT SPECTATORS CAN RETURN, WE WILL UPDATE THIS NOTICE. CHECK BACK HERE FOR UPDATES.

During Covid, walk-up spectators, late registration, and late substitutions are not permitted. Everyone through the gate--drivers, crew, family, friends, kids, whatever--must be pre-registered as drivers or crew before the online reg database closes (12 days before the race). Pre-registered crew members are $75; we realize that's steep for kids, but this helps us limit bodies onsite to essential team members and streamline the check-in process. We hope to be back to normal soon!
    I'm hoping it goes away soon, as I want to bring my Dad. He comes to TT events and understands what is going on, but doesn't like that we're not passing for position. This event will be my w2w debut.