Page 2 of 98 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: dodint's Automotive Evolution

My aunt had one of those Impala SS's back in the day. We used to ride in it going to the NASCAR race at Pocono. It would be doing 100mph and just kind of gliding down the road. With Ash having the 5-series there is no room for it in my life right now, but if she scaled down to an executive sized car I'd consider it.

Where do you have to parallel park in your neck of the woods?

She works and goes to school in LaCrosse, WI which is, like, totally a 'city.'

I work on a desolate old Army base and could drive an RV to work and it wouldn't make a bit of difference.

Ah, that makes more sense. Although LaCrosse is still a really small city.

You should drive an old RV to work. There are some very favorable deals on them, and that way if Krunch needs a place to sleep again you'll be set!

I am in the process of taking a job downtown in a major metro area. I'll still be attending law school which means I'll have to drive the 11 hours to school a few times a year and I'll have to, on occasion, drive around downtown and maybe live there. Looking for an appliance, FWD/AWD for snow, automatic so I can sleep in traffic and so the wife can drive it. The DMC-12 is going to fulfill my fun motoring needs so I'm sold on going all out for mediocrity here.

For these reasons I'm thinking of jettisoning or mothballing the E36 and buying a smaller city car. Not looking to spend more than $12,000 and it still has to be 'interesting' enough for me not to be annoyed at the payment. My *first* reaction was to get the 3000GT VR-4 I always wanted, but I backed myself off that cliff for a myriad of reasons. I briefly looked into the lower trim offerings of the Fiat 500 and thought it was "ok." Then I noticed that 2nd Gen MINI Cooper's are going for that same price, and that got my blood pumping a bit. First gens seem to have cooling issues but I haven't seen that with the second gens. I watched a video of a guy who is 6'7" and fat fitting in it nicely, so I'm sold there.

So, 2012 MINI Cooper for $12,000. Sell me/scare me.

No. Just stop it.

I never saw the appeal of a a FWD BMW with a cynical Mini badge on it. Always remember that they are the horrific organisation that came up with the hideous Mini Countryman (bigger than a mid-90s RAV4) and at least in HK tried to sell it as having "ELECTRIC" performance of 0-100km/h in 10 seconds.

The cars are subjected to cynical, disningenuous and disgraceful marketing which prioritises nostalgia over substance. I can't bring myself to even think about getting a car from a brand like that, no matter how good they are supposed to be.

Well, I owned a BMW Discovery 2 and enjoyed it.

Still better than a Mini.

I can only conclude that Mini owners think that owning a Mini makes them look "cool". Some of my good friends are Mini owners/drivers. One even has a Countryman with a Union Jack roof and wing mirrors. The other one thinks that his R53 Cooper with JCW upgrade will eventually be recognised as a future classic simply because of the JCW upgrade and because it's allegedly the only one in HK in BR Green and with a white roof (which meant he took 18 months to find) and doesn't rev the engine beyond 2500rpm. On the plus side, he says he hates the recent ones as they look like dead fish. Which is true.

No. JUST SAY NO TO MINI OWNERSHIP.
    Last edited by Yw-slayer; October 1st, 2016 at 08:36 PM.

They have to be maintained like a German car, FWIW. You've done the BMW thing, so you're at least mentally prepared for that.

Two anecdotal points:
    Friend of ours has owned an 04 S from new and loves it. It's the longest she's owned any car, by far.

I raced against a nicely set up 2011 non-S. He got 40+mpg for the whole trip to Nationals, in addition to kicking my ass on the autocross courses. You'll have to decide for yourself if having a car with less horsepower than your bike is ok, though.

edit for YW: keep in mind that the US doesn't ever* get the cool hot hatches from anywhere, so the MINI, in addition to being a stylistic statement, is also a pretty good choice for people who like a little zip in their commute.

*the FiST is an outlier.
    Whoomah!