Page 11 of 98 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: dodint's Automotive Evolution

My experience with BBK is just do a brake upgrade via hoses, fluid, and slightly more aggressive pad material.

Cheaper, and less bullshit to mess with.

Agreed.

Yeah, I would just get regular replacement rotors (maybe splurge on the Brembo blanks?) and nice pads.
    Whoomah!

I was talking with the guy last night for a while we waited. Came to basically that same conclusion, SS lines, upgraded rotor and some decent pads. With the more open wheels it would be fun to dress up the calipers but it would be silly to either take them off of this car and powdercoat them, or buy 4 new calipers just for hat purpose.

I miss not having a lift. I was ashamed to tell the gentleman I hadn't had it up in the air yet.

You don't need to powdercoat - there are lots of spray & brush on caliper paints. The Duplicolor kit I used on the XR4Ti lasted forever on ancient used (from the junkyard) Taurus calipers. The Eastwood brush on stuff I used on the SPG only lasted about four years, but in retrospect it's possible I didn't apply it right. I just redid it a bit ago - possibly right this time - so we'll see how long it lasts. The VHT spray I used on the Fiero has not held up that well, but I keep thinking it's me because other people have reported much better results ... I tend to either under- or over-apply paint... I never get it right. That's why the girl does all the painting around the house.

We put the gas slotted rotors Tirerack sells on my friend Leanne's Cooper S along with Akebono ceramic pads and it's been great. We agonized about more aggressive pads, but no regrets thus far.

I just like powdercoating because it's cheap (for outsourced work), easy, and the coating is usually very uniform. The pain in the ass part is that to do calipers right you have to strip them out and rebuild them. Which is fine for an older car that needs it anyway, but seems silly to do on a three year old car.

I'm not a fan of slotted and cross drilled rotors, especially for my application. I know you can tell me I'm wrong, but you won't convince me that on the street reducing the size of the friction surface improves braking performance. I'm trying to avoid hitting deer and pedestrians, not fight brake fade on my 17th trip into T1.

The cool thing to do in the DMC universe is zinc coating:

A bunch of stuff was zinc coated from the factory so folks like to go back and redo it.

Cheap? Rattlecan painting the calipers are significantly cheaper than powdercoating. I mean personal preference rules the day but cost-wise it's no contest.

My R53 had simple painted calipers that lasted for my 6+ years of ownership.

I wouldn't and didn't recommend drilled rotors for the street, but slotted rotors provide some of the same benefits without much of a reduction of the friction surface or potential weakening of the casting. They also help clean the pad (at the expense of potential faster wear) which is a benefit unto itself. It's certainly not a necessity, but I can say Leanne's car is not lacking in the brake department in any way, even in her 17th trip into TB.

I have had in the past calipers powdercoated, but the cost and difficulty of doing it does not justify the result in my opinion. The Duplicolor kit I mentioned was $20 and was complete - and about 15% the cost of a powdercoat and doesn't require $20-$40 in new seals. Unless you physically removed the calipers and looked for the places I couldn't reach, there was no way to tell it wasn't a powdercoating job. If you believe the marketing, it is in some ways superior since powder chips easily whereas the scifi caliper paint does not. I can't think of a scenario where I'd go back to powdercoating - the price vs. result isn't there.
    Last edited by thesameguy; December 16th, 2016 at 05:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by novicius View Post
    Cheap? Rattlecan painting the calipers are significantly cheaper than powdercoating. I mean personal preference rules the day but cost-wise it's no contest.

My R53 had simple painted calipers that lasted for my 6+ years of ownership.
    U mad, bro?

You'll note I said 'outsourced' solutions, I was comparing powdercoating to paint booth work. Maybe I didn't make it apparent enough with the parenthical, sorry.

I painted the calipers on my 2nd Intrepid, used some Krylon paint from Advance and you're right, it worked fine through my entire ownership as well.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    I wouldn't and didn't recommend drilled rotors for the street. . .

I have had in the past calipers powdercoated, but the cost and difficulty of doing it does not justify the result in my opinion. The Duplicolor kit I mentioned was $20 and was complete - and about 15% the cost of a powdercoat and doesn't require $20-$40 in new seals. Unless you physically removed the calipers and looked for the places I couldn't reach, there was no way to tell it wasn't a powdercoating job. If you believe the marketing, it is in some ways superior since powder chips easily whereas the scifi caliper paint does not. I can't think of a scenario where I'd go back to powdercoating - the price vs. result isn't there.
    Fair point on the rotors, my sentiment is the same for cross drilled and slotted, though.

When I lived in WI I had a good relationship with a local powdercoater so I may have a bias. I just like that particular style of coating if it's an option. The color is even, uniform, and cleans up very easily. I'm not saying it's the only option, by far, it really depends on the project. You can't get brand new DMC brake calipers anymore unless you want to pay a ridiculous price. It's easier to rebuild old ones. In that case I would absolutely take the caliper, coat it (powder, zinc, whatever) and put new pistons in. But for a three year old DD? Nah, probably not. Either rattle can or not bother at all.