Page 4 of 98 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: dodint's Automotive Evolution

Volvo ftmfw

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Looking for an appliance ... automatic so I can sleep in traffic and so the wife can drive it.
    Problem with the car above is that it's a manual, which I'm not doing for utility purposes. Doesn't seem to be a lot of Abarth automatics...there are a plethora of MINI's with slushboxes.
    Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Are we talking automatic or manual? It seems too obvious, so I can only assume it does need to be an auto?
    I don't know, man, life's a mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    You can't hate on the MINI and then recommend the FIAT "Only 15 years late" 500.
    Yes I can, and I do. Hate hate hate

I don't know, man, life's a mystery.
    Ah, didn't see that.

Have you considered a Juke? Should be about there in price and gets you some ground clearance and AWD. I would also think about a 2nd gen Forester XT. They are not big, quite quick. You would be going back in time a bit, but probably not much money.

My Dad and step-mom both converted into Subaru people a few years ago. They love them.

Looks like the Abarth got automatics in 2015.

Well, second gen Forester XT with more than 150k miles on them can be had for $7k or less around here. They should have had the head gaskets replaced on them by then, right?

Considering that, in one breath, you're talking about needing to make an 11 hour drive, and the next, talking about MINI-fucking-Coopers, you can't blame people for being confused.

Caravaned with a MINI Fucking Cooper from Davis to Lincoln, NE, and back. Rob's biggest issue with the drive was that his longest book-on-CD was only 11 hours.
    Whoomah!

Quote Originally Posted by KillerB View Post
    Considering that, in one breath, you're talking about needing to make an 11 hour drive, and the next, talking about MINI-fucking-Coopers, you can't blame people for being confused.
    Other than, "omg BMWs are unreliable", which is complete garbage spouted by non-BMW owners I haven't seen anything actually discouraging. Novi had electrical issues, bummer. I have no idea if that was observed on an appreciable number of cars or not. 1Gen had coolant leak issues so I've kind of moved past them.

I get it has a viceral reaction for some people, though I didn't realize it would be this bad. I don't actually have any opinion on it yet, it was just the car that kept popping up over in my browsing so I thought I'd put out feelers.

I guess I just wonder if you've ridden in one over any distance. Unlike Russ, I find their suspension tuning to be unpleasant over long distances, especially when combined with interstates lousy with expansion joints in winter-weather country. Stiff springs + short wheelbase isn't my cup of tea for that sort of driving.

Keep in mind, this is coming from someone who *likes* MINIs, but based on your other criteria, I just don't think they make sense in this case.
    Last edited by KillerB; October 2nd, 2016 at 07:21 PM.