Page 42 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast

Thread: dodint's Automotive Evolution

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Have someone coming to look tomorrow. Would be nice to get it gone. I like it a ton but without the desire to modify the motor or install an IRS I just don't think I'll get much farther with it.

GLWS... nothing like not having a race car over the winter. Who needs that shit?

She'll move, no worries -- even amongst jaded Mustang owners, that T-56 will make the sale.

Best of luck! Do you have a Mityvac or a small (TINY) air compressor? You should be able to pull some vacuum or put up to 1psi (NO more) of air in the system at various points to test for leaks. I'd start on before the purge valve and aim back at the tank, but you can also test individual sections, like from the outside, through the fresh air vent, to the purge valve, and from the tank, through the canister, to the purge valve. It's a damned PITA, but better than crawling under the car repeatedly. I think '98 is probably too early to have a test port near the purge valve, but maybe not? It'd look like this:

All the reading I've done on forums and stuff talk about doing smoke tests, which sounds like an even bigger pain in the ass than what you're describing.

I don't recall seeing anything like that in my travels around the engine bay, but I'll take a look. If the vent valve sensor is where I think it is (above the diff, near the gas tank) it's readily accessible and should be a fairly easy swap. I read a post saying there is a vacuum line that runs right above the differential housing and is fairly easy to cut or crack, so I'm going to look at that as well. I only paid $32 for the part and it probably should be updated anyway, its not like I'm going to return it.

No idea what I'm talking about, but that all sounds about right to me.

Smoke tests are nice because you can fill the system with smoke and see where it comes out, pointing you very quickly to a leak. But a vacuum/pressure test is easily diy, and while it won't show you the leak, it will tell you if there is one. By testing individual sections, you can pretty quickly figure out where a problem might be.

That said, I do think the vent valve or surrounding hose is the issue and you're likely to solve the issue in the first pass (I mean, you replaced everything else already) but an extra 15-30 minutes with a mityvac isn't a huge time suck. Just be sure you use emissions- or fuel-rated hose for replacements. Cooling system/ regular vacuum/etc hose will fail real quick handling gas vapors.

So, went to swap this vent valve in real quick, had about an hour to dedicate to it.

Can't find the old one. It's not at the canister in the front passenger wheel well, it's not at the rear near the gas tank. It's not in the engine bay, that I can tell. Either it's not equipped on the SVT, it was removed by the PO (can't see the electric hookup anywhere, though), or I am completely missing it. I got the car high enough in the air I could roll around underneath on a creeper. No dice.

Will probably have to spend more money in the form of a Chilton or Haynes now.

Well, that's weird. The part is listed for the Cobra, so it should be there.

Yepper.

FUCKING CARS.