Page 48 of 98 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: dodint's Automotive Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    The SVT was the only car there on street tires, but I don't think slicks would buy 15 seconds in the Mustang.
    I dunno the course, but I wouldn't rule it out. I'm not even a good driver but knocked eight seconds off Infineon on Hoosiers vs Star Specs in our Lemons car - about 2200lbs and 240hp.

Even if the Mustang gained 10 seconds a lap on slicks the E46 is only 7 seconds behind the Z06 and 5 seconds ahead of the SVT at that point. I really don't believe it's capable of running 2:00 there or I would've kept it.
    For reference, the NASA Camaro Mustang Challenge (the only series I would've ran the SVT in) PittRace Full lap record is 2:01.210 set in a Pontiac Firebird Formula, that record was set three days before the video of my laps I posted above. Of all the races that series runs, only one Mustang holds a lap record at all and that is at Road America. To me, that supports my claim that the SVT just wasn't going to approach the same times as the E46. I'll have to poke around and see if I can find the actual SpecE46 lap record as that video is just one guys best run that I found while dicking around at 1am.

When I watch the E46 video what catches my eye is how quickly the I6 moves through the rpm range. For the entire lap with the SVT I would shift; d3, u4, d3, u4, d3, u4. That's 6 gear changes over 2.78 miles. The E46 is rowing through the gears all over the course; I really think that makes a lot of the difference. Really wish he had telemetry overlaid on his video, but you can see the tach pretty clearly and it's bouncing around nicely through the top of the range.

Obviously the SVT is used as a baseline as it's the whole of my personal tracking experience (though I have parade lapped in E46 at VIR, woo). The focus of my concern right now is whether the gap between the E46 and C5Z is worth the $10k+ premium, especially since I'm not a very quick driver to begin with.

As always, thanks for the discourse. My disagreement isn't meant to signal that I don't appreciate your input; I just thrive in an adversarial setting.

Ain't no thing. I read somewhere that everyone thinks better out loud - I know I certainly do. Talking about things is how you get to the best solutions.

I argue with myself all the time.....seems to help.

1:58.510 is the SE46 PittRace lap record, to close that loop.

I think without knowing the level of prep of the exemplar SVT & Z06 it's a multi-fruit comparison. if those cars also didn't have a 500lb weight reduction, slicks, cage, seat. suspension package it's kinda just three numbers. Although the E46 was a good car, I find it hard to believe it could keep up that well with a Z06 with a major prep difference. The Z06 is a GM car, but mechanically was very well executed.

The SVT was at the peak of what I was willing to take it, though. And the E46 is built to a spec, so that is pretty much optimized unless the rulebook changes. In fact, since the power is stock I can concievably go faster in a non spec 330CI because I can run under the required minimum weight.

You are right, it's not a straight comparison. I was trying to get a feel for the distance between the cars and now I think I have a more realistic handle on it.

I don't know what is going to happen. I may shelve everything and pursue the DMC.

My GI Bill runs out and the wife quits her job for three years starting next fall. Whatever I decide to go with I am pretty much locked into until almost 2021 so I'm going to probe it from all angles until then.

Probe. Heh.

We are talking proposed Mustang replacements here.

Apples, pears, and bananas. What do you like best?

Also Russ's Dude's laptime vs yours isn't a fair comparison to begin with given his experience and badassery behind the wheel.