Page 5 of 98 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: dodint's Automotive Evolution

Whoomah!

Relative to what, though? The E60? Sure. But right now I have an E36 with no interior.

How would it compare to the 500?

Or, better yet, I did a 10ish hour trip in a Chevy Aveo once and wanted to murder things when I got there. Has to be better than that, right?

I'm not trying to be adversarial, like I said I'm not advocating for anything yet and don't have to make the purchase until April. It's just a market segment I've completely ignored and I'm lost on where to start.

I wanted to go test drive a MINI or 500 locally. But, yeah, Wisconsin. There are none. I'm not moving back east until November so I'll start driving some stuff then.

The first gen MINI was statistically one of the least reliable makes in owner surveys, though I couldn't say if it was annoying gremlins or major drivetrain failures. BMW has been among the top brands in recent years in oil consumption and UK 3rd party warranty engine replacements. When brands have well known issues, the reputation takes a while to shake. I still see rusting Mazdas get brought up online all the time even though it hasn't been an issue since the 2006 model year (my 2008 is doing fine with multiple Chicago winters).

As for the MINI, I considered buying an R56 Cooper S, but the Mazdaspeed3 being $5k less when comparably equipped in addition to being bigger and faster won me over (I still had my Miata at the time). I don't really get the hate for the brand revival cars, as I'm not concerned with the image of having a girly car, nor do I have fond memories of the original since they only sold 10,000 or them in the US between 1960 and 1967. The only original Mini Cooper I've seen on the street was a 25 year import exception RHD car.

I'd still consider one if the price was right; after all, I haven't heard of any crippling issues like, say, 1st gen VAG 2.0T engines eating their camshafts by ~80k miles if the cam followers with no specified replacement interval don't get replaced every 30-40k. AFAIK, most of BMW's engine issues in the recent past involved their twin turbocharged sixes and eights.

The Mini definitely has some real potential issues - unreliable transmissions (both, but the auto is worse), a number of electronic modules that fail, power steering pumps that fail, they are one of the few DI engines that actually suffer from carbon deposits, and depending on which conspiracy theory you subscribe to either too-liberal service intervals or poor timing chain design.... maybe the oil change interval is too great, or maybe the chain/tensioner/guides inadequate. Working on them is a pain (Google timing belt or power steering replacement) and being BMW you need a good factory scan tool to perform a lot of services... even if you don't DIY, it will still limit where you can take it.

I have never been uncomfortable in my friend Leanne's, and hers has been pretty good in terms of reliability but it's tough to know whether she is the exception or the rule. Based on statistical information like TheBenior mentioned it seems the former. I still want one.

The Mini in all its incarnations offers a better ride than the Abarth. Fundamentally a different class of car. Regular 500s have a totally decent ride, but the Abarth is all boy racer. Also, I think the half gen 500 autobox is a raging pile of shit. It's a real obstacle in an otherwise totally acceptable car. Just remember the 500 is a cheap pass Italian car. You kinda get what you pay for. For clarity, I would also totally own an Abarth.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBenior View Post
    As for the MINI, I considered buying an R56 Cooper S
    Heh, all this time I thought you were complaining about the "softness" of the 1st gen Cooper S.

Yeah the R56 was considerably softer/more lenient than the R53. Explains a lot.

I *really* wanted a first gen (R55) Mini Clubman S, but it was out of my price range... then the FiST came out here, and that was life. I don't understand the hate for Mini, they are well equipped zippy little cars.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    , they are one of the few DI engines that actually suffer from carbon deposits
    Ah, so that's where all that blog BS I read about DI comes from. I'd been thinking, "Is this really an issue with Japanese DI engines that don't get fed a steady diet of cheap gas and extended oil change intervals with the cheapest bulk motor oil?"

It's always a possibility with DI engines, but only a couple tend to suffer. The Mini is one, early Audis ones are another, and there is a third I can't think of - it might be the BMW straight six. Most of the carbon deposit issue can actually be solved in software (which sounds nuts, I know) so you really have to try on most cars. The Audi gets a pass because it was early to the game, but the DI Mini motor was late and it still has the problem, which kind of sucks.

Like all things, you can probably, realistically blame the issue on maintenance - bad fuel, poor driving habits, insufficient attention - and that can explain away most every foible the Mini has. But, if you're buying used you may very well be inheriting a whole world of problems. Just gotta be prepared for it, be sure the juice is worth the squeeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I *really* wanted a first gen (R55) Mini Clubman S, but it was out of my price range... then the FiST came out here, and that was life.
    FiST is a damn good reason not to buy a Clubman. I'd (of course) be buying used, so the Clubman is actually cheaper from my perspective... but not by much. If I keep dragging my feet it'll be a non-issue!

Good information, folks. Very much appreciate the discourse. I hate going into marque specific forums for opinions stuff like this, would rather hear it from you.