Page 66 of 98 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast

Thread: dodint's Automotive Evolution

Ah yeah, that'd be a truly alarming amount of money going in, if you were in NZ. Even a compact Corolla sized car you'd be dumping a good US$60 to $70 from empty, so I'm magnifying that by a 6.8 V10.

Did five fillups, 30 gallon tank, about $2.50 or so per gallon for 87. So around $400 to do the 1500mi.

They sold it to me empty, of course.

Would have cost US$890 in NZ with our fuel prices.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Nice save!

Wiper activation for extra style points!

I only lost 1 second on that TrackSprint pass. It was going to be a really nice time. Oh well.

Got in a small rear-end accident in the Delorean. Ash and I were sitting at a light doing that deal where you creep up a few feet, stop, creep up, stop. I was stopped and the kid behind me was looking out his side window into the shopping center on the left and drove into us at maybe 4-5 mph. Wasn't a lot but it startled me and my wife pretty good and was hard enough that we're both sore this morning.

It was a super lucky hit. It was a Ford Focus that had a front bumper low enough that it hit square on my rear bumper cover which pushed directly into the rear bumper crash bar. Surface damage but no structural degradation. Scratched the bumper cover on my car and caused some of the paint underneath to flake. He hit one of my tailpipes square on and it punched a perfect hole in his front bumper cover:

If it had been a SUV/Truck it would've rolled right through my tail light structure and into my engine bay. Can't overstate how lucky it was that it was a car low enough to actually engage the crash bumper on my car. You can see the flaking on the bottom left under the Delorean lettering, and some white scuffing to the right of the 'n.' The bowing below the license plate isn't there, it's a trick of light from that camera angle.

They were some teens/early-20s kids from Michigan. My car was hit perfect where the damage was pretty much superficial. Turning it in for a claim wouldn't get me anything other than higher insurance rates and diminished value of the car if an accident is reported to Carfax. I let them have the option of taking it to insurance or not, which I highly doubt they will. Just glad they didn't get their airbags deployed, would have been a completely different story if they had, I think.

Sorry to hear you and Ash are sore, but it looks like otherwise it wasn't too bad.

Thanks. I think it might've been the sudden startling reaction to the hit rather than the hit itself that did us in. Like when you slip on ice and jerk real fast. I could be full of shit, though. All I remember is talking to Ash, then feeling a jolt of power coming up through my torso, and then the realization of what happened.

The car is good, though. Have driven it about 60 miles since then, and to work yesterday, and it's all systems normal I think. I'm working as staff for TNiA tomorrow and plan to drive it up there as well.