Page 8 of 98 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: dodint's Automotive Evolution

Six hours isn't even either end of this state.

I live on the IA/WI border and Omaha is on the NE/IA border, so I have to drive to Nebraska but will essentially experience none of Nebraska, but I get to experience all of IA because I'll be traveling it's length from NE to SW. It feels like punishment, really.

Though the car salesman said "Nebraska is a whole lot like Iowa, just longer" so I doubt I'm missing much.

I prefer Iowa to Nebraska, but neither are Wyoming, so you have that.

I did Iowa on motorcycle last summer. I actually liked it a lot, fwiw.

But you only need to do it once.

I might put Children of the Corn on my tablet and watch that while we're driving through.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    We might go Saturday morning. Just get up and leave at like 6am, get there by noon. Then turn around and come home. The shit thing is it's in Nebraska so I get to see, wooo, all of Iowa. I'm going to have to look pretty hard to find somewhere fun for us to stop on the way through, probably in Des Moines.

I really like my E36, but it's rough. Remember, it has no interior behind the front seats. You're right, I know what it's capable of which is why I'm looking for something else right now. If I could afford to stash it somewhere for 5 years I would, but it would be more cost effective to just trade it away and rebuy a new track car for what I would pay to store it over that time.
    You've never been to Des Moines... have you?

Doh. I read that it's your daily and must have glossed over the part where you tore the interior out. Yeah, that would make a bit of a difference.

I like Des Moines. That and especially Coeur D'Alene are two places we are talking about moving to long term. A small house on a little land being as crazy as we wanna be through the twilight years? YUP. We might try to buy a place in a few years - either rent it out in the interim or just have a weird vacation home waiting to receive us permanently.

I checked the Trip Advisor page for the top attractions in Des Moines.

Good game, Des Moines. Good Effort.

~12 or so years ago, when Kansas City was voting on a tax increase for renovations to the baseball and football stadiums, there was a televised local debate and someone said, "Look, if we lose the sports teams, we might as well be Omaha, or Des Moines."
    -Formerly Stabulator

Fuck. I thought I was the only one who remembered that quote.

Des Moines isnt bad. But it gets frigid fast there.

And it is Iowa. (Idiots Out Wandering Around)

Not sure why this bothers me, but it's one of those BMW/MINI things. The car I'm looking at Saturday has fog lights, front and rear, but no switches for them. The bulbs, housings, and wiring is there but you have to buy the switch yourself and convince a technician to program the car to use them. I guess the front fogs are used in certain situations (pathway lighting, probably) but the rears have no use in the US. Either way neither set of lights are manually switchable. This really annoys me. Also, the US didn't get the heated windshield (the Land Rover had one and it was great, and it had front/rear switchable fogs, blah) so there is a dead button on the console which also bothers me.

I'm easily bothered.