Page 80 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast

Thread: dodint's Automotive Evolution

Hah, was great hanging out with you this weekend. The team is really looking forward to seeing the shots you took. Lots of different conditions to shoot around.

I ran a 2008 Rabbit in the Rustbelt GP with Lemons this weekend. The team did great, will post a video when I can. Rik got to come out and feel the wide range of summer weather that Michigan has to offer.

I'd like to go to Gingerman and not be on one of the extreme scales of weather. I am expecting blizzards for Gridlife festival.

214 frames down to 92 on the first pass.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Ash and I dropped the E46 off at the cage builder this week....80 days or so before school, we don't have a motor, and the car is in another state.
    So, since that last post:
    -Purchased a new motor and started preparing/hardening it for racing.
    -Purchased a bunch of parts. Stuff to reinforce the transmission, whole new exhaust, new mounts, a replacement wheel, etc.
    -Paid for the body and engine harnesses to be professionally depinned and modified. This included wiring in a rain light, battery isolator, windshield heat element switches, and some other custom work as well as removing everything we don't need.
    -Went to Competition school and earned my SCCA racing license in a friend's car, a 2008 VW Rabbit in SCCA T4 trim:

Rikadyn took that shot at Gingerman, same car but we had a front bumper cover for the school.

The SpecE46 is in cage builder purgatory. I thought it would be back in mid-July, but it's nearly September with no end in sight. This effectively ended my racing season.

Tyler came to Pittsburgh this weekend to learn the M6 so he can be ready for One Lap in the spring. We still had the SuperCar3's on the car from Time Trials Nationals last year. Unfortunately one of them delaminated in the first session. The only 255/40-19 we could find was in the next county and was a 600TW all-season tire. So we tossed it on and made sure he could get a decent amount of wheel time. He ultimately ended up taking third in class at the Time Trial.

The kid working on the brake pad change is from the local technical college and came to work on the Rabbit, but it was fully sorted so he offered to help with the M6. Even though it was just a pad change he was pretty nervous. I let him drive the M6 later in the weekend, it was the first time he had been on public roads with a manual transmission. Kids these days.

Plans for the winter:
    -Finish the SpecE46 and be ready for next season.
    -Prep the M6 for One Lap.
    -Go race the new SCCA Enduro at Sebring in the spring; maybe.

Sucks about the cage builder. So annoying. Please let me know if you guys will be racing anywhere near me.

2021 is the first year that I can recall where I did not buy or sell a vehicle.

I must be truly getting old.

You'll have to buy and sell a few extra this year to make up for it.

By comparison, I owned the same car from my late thirties into my early fifties.

Hah, I doubt it. This is how things went:

Plans for the winter:
    -Finish the SpecE46 and be ready for next season.
    -Prep the M6 for One Lap.
    -Go race the new SCCA Enduro at Sebring in the spring; maybe.

Did not do any of it.

All the racing I do next season will be in rental racecars and I won't be at Sebring.
    The M6 has a fairly sizable list of things I need to repair to get it to be properly roadworthy, let alone track-ready.

Racing-derived V10 has got to make the whole experience worthwhile sometimes, right?

Is OLOA still on the cards? I am *for sure* in this year (lol).

I didn't know the M6 lost roadworthiness!

OLOA is out for 2022, unfortunately. Long story but I didn't feel I could commit to it mentally and I thought I'd be more of a danger to myself and others if I was out there half-assing it. Probably an overreaction but I'd really like to do it when I'm fully committed and mentally sharp enough for it. Really looking forward to hearing about your experience though.

I'm still driving the M6, although I did clean out the garage and tuck it away yesterday now that the temps are below 45F. But there is some M6 specific stuff that needs to be addressed before I can get it back on track.
    In priority order:
    -Throttle Body Actuators: BMW made them with plastic gears and they fail around 60-80k miles. There is one on each bank. I can do this in the garage as they're located just under the air intake plenum. One of mine is failing; causes intermittent limp mode. A company makes an upgraded replacement that uses metal gears that should never need to be replaced again.
    -Idle Air Actuators: Same as the TB actuators. The ECU monitors each bank and if they don't open at exactly the same time it puts the car into limp mode. Mine are fine, but 'while you're in there' doing TB actuators it's just three extra bolts to remove x2.
    -ABS Module & Pump: There are brushes inside the pump that wear down and no longer make contact, causing a fault/failure. Doesn't really affect anything but trips a ton of warning lights.
    -Clutch: Starting to slip. Not noticeable on the street but it would be a problem on track.
    -Headliner: Helmet rubbing on the roof loosened the headliner; need to pull it and have an upholstery shop reglue it.
    -Rod Bearings: Preventative; I already bought them but haven't picked a shop to put them in yet.
    -Battery: Being fussy, probably aging out.
    -Tires: It has all-seasons on it so I'll need another set of something sticky for track use.

It has about 75,000 miles on it so most of that stuff is expected for the S85 motor. And being 13 years old I'm not surprised about the battery ABS pump, and headliner. And it's been tracked by Tyler so something like the clutch is to be expected.