Page 81 of 82 FirstFirst ... 317179808182 LastLast

Thread: dodint's Automotive Evolution

It is a fun car for sure

The only thing I have had an inkling to trade it on is a Z4 M Roadster. I really enjoyed having that Z4. But it would be a pretty even swap other than losing cargo space so I am just going to keep the M6 for a while longer. It does almost everything well.

I'm exchanging the Ford van for a Saab 9-3 Sportcombi. Things are getting weird.

My cylinders per vehicle average are about to plummet.

That was unexpected!

Man, no more V10 fleet fun!

I like sportcombis...

Hold out for a manual SportCombi Aero 2.8l. Then get it tuned by Vermont Tuning.

I'm buying the Saab from a racer buddy. One of those engineers with autistic level attention to detail. He does stuff like clone the failing ECU, source a heat shield from Sweden, put the cloned ECU into the car and the add extra ventilation on top of that. Multiply that across the rest of the car. It has just over 100k miles and drives as solid as the day it came off the assembly line. He is selling because he is a VW guy and already has another Jetta wagon.

It has to be an automatic because it is a utility vehicle. Ashley needs to be able to drive it when we go on vacation or if the MINI can not haul what she needs to carry. It's a pretty cool car for a wagon. Black over white leather, etc. I sourced some 14 spoke stock wheels from the local pull yard. Dropped them off at the powder coater, going to have the curb rash cleaned up and then coat them in high gloss bright white.

I wanted to keep the van a few more years. But two of the cylinders have coolant leaking into them and its misfiring enough that it is difficult to get it to pass emissions, not to mention the terrible gas mileage running on 8 cylinders. Ford wants $9500+ to put a new motor in it. The math just doesn't work out, particularly with me not feeling like sleeping in it at the track any more. I need a vehicle that can tow 7700lbs, not 18,000lbs. I am feeling a bit Land Rover'y again, but that is down the line...

I didn't realize the van was falling apart, I understand the desire to move on from it more now.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Yeah. I paid $5k for it four years ago. I put something like 30k miles on it. We took it to Texas for time trials twice, NCM, Connecticut, a bunch of other places. I certainly got my use out of it. I just don't want to spend $10k on it when it only gets about 15mpg at best. And now that I'm less interested in sleeping at race tracks (it's too fucking hot) that's two big strikes against it.

It still drives well, I've been using it for big errands like taking a freezer to the dump and moving a king-sized bed out of my storage unit. And I'll be towing the trailer a short distance this week. But its condition is only going to get worse and then it will be really hard to unload.

A Land Rover with a small aluminum enclosed is likely my future race car hauler. I'd do the Cayenne but Tyler already beat me to that.