Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: GB Hits "The Easy Button", or "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em"

So... Miata vs. Z.... ?

I have a neighbor who built an airplane in his garage. He flies it 2 or 3 days per week. He loves it. Takes day trips all over the southeast. I joke with him (seriously, tho) that *I* would never, EVER, have enough trust to take off in an airplane that *I* built myself. I'd love to go up in HIS, though. Anytime.

That's kind of how I always felt in the Z. Every time I stepped on the brakes I said a quick prayer. The combination of its age, and how much of it was held together with my "know how" started to get under my skin, and I felt I was a potential danger to others on the track.

I was 4.5 seconds faster per lap in the Miata at this track. (I don't have any lap times from when I had the Aero here).

Add to this the fact that I kind of lost my way with the Z. It was purchased to be a dedicated track car, that I would slowly turn into a legal racecar that I could go to Driver's School in. But then the whole confidence thing crept in, and I didn't think *I* could ever see the car all the way through to certification. Besides, it's cheaper to buy a used "turnkey" car. But racecars need to be trailered, and towed with a truck. More expense. I lost motivation.

Then there is the problem with the broken exhaust manifold studs (heads need to come off). the purchase of the beater ZX Turbo with the stillborn idea of an engine swap, to having 2 Z's sit unused in the driveway.... now I just want the z's gone.

The Miata is comfortable, reliable, has cold air, is faster, and I trust it.

The answer is always....

....Just build what you want

I will never forget the first time I took a car I worked on heavily to a track. Weird how driving around in normal traffic felt completely different from driving a car at a race track, but it did. Nobody died, so that was good!

2 days before the last track day, a piece of the neck of my coolant tank broke off. Couldn't get one in time for the track day, so I super glued it and prayed. It held quite nicely for 9 days.
    I re-broke the offending piece for a quick photo. It's a known issue on these cars, just as it is in the Saab Aero. And just like the Aero, there is a really nice aluminum replacement available. Again, just like the Aero, I replaced with OEM.

Soon after I bought the car, there was a slight misfire at high RPM. After running a few tanks of 93 octane, I hadn't had the problem in months.
    But then, in the closing laps of the track day's final session, I heard and felt it a couple of times. So I changed coils and plugs.
    Much easier to reach these 4 than 1, 3, and 5 in the Aero.

ALWAYS buy Genuine Mazda par... HEY, WTF?!?

That is very interesting to me! I wonder if the coils on the Duratec in the garage say Mazda?

Lol. Can't escape the blue oval.

Any Mazda from that era will have a number of parts stamped FoMoCo. Off the top of my head, my Mazdaspeed3's brakes and radiator are like that.

IIRC, post-2001 facelift NB Miata had fog lamps that cross referenced with the Mercury Marauder. Mazda wanted 5 times as much for them as Mercury did.

In the words of Inigo Montoya, "Let me s'plain. No, there is too much. Let me sum-up."

Intermittent misfire (now cured, I hope) ruined catalytic converters. The car has two: Main cat in the exhaust header with O2 sensors before and after, and a secondary cat in the midpipe. Both got turned into concrete bits and talcum powder.
    The car already had a Goodwin Racing "RoadsterSport II" muffler, so I purchased a Goodwin Racing RoadsterSport Max Power catless header and RoadsterSport midpipe with cat, and O2 sensor cable extensions.
    Took the car to my friend's home in Melbourne, FL, where he runs his business (Strictly Saab... which he needs to change to Mostly Saab these days). A lift makes this sort of work SOOOOO much easier. Took about 2 hours to remove and replace everything. (Carlo, no torches or cutting tools needed. Didn't even use any PB Blaster, and all the nuts and bolts came loose easily after 11 years and 113,000 miles. Location, location, location!! )

End result, really great, throaty sound and even better 'zing' through the rev range. It's nice to be able to put a high-quality product, engineered JUST for this car, on a vehicle in good shape. Well worth the purchase price.
    Attached Images Attached Images

So shiny! Looks great - post a sound clip when you can - I'd love to hear it!