Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: GB Hits "The Easy Button", or "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em"

Awesome. Pretty easy job in that car compared to many. Next get a programmable ECU interface and a dyno tune - it'll run that much better!

Merry Christmas!

Track Days, for me, aren't to impress anyone else... they're just for me to have fun. Having a car that runs and corners like it was born for track work certainly helps... it makes a relative low horsepower chariot not only BEARABLE, but downright awesome. The axiom, "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast rather than a fast car CAREFULLY." has a lot of truth.
    So I don't do my 4 or 5 Track Weekends per year because I think I'm an aspiring race driver... I don't need THAT much hassle in my life. Trucks, trailers, spare parts, certifications... not to mention LOADS OF CASH. I do it to find a few tenths here and there, hear the sounds, see the sights, and generally just have a good time.

And all of that is well and good, but that doesn't mean that this didn't sting a little bit.

Went to Roebling Road for a weekend with Just Track It. It's become one of my favorite weekends with a few friends of mine, usually the second weekend in November. I've gone the last 5 years in a row. It's usually the last one of the year for me.
    This time I registered my car in 2 separate classes: Intermediate 1 for me, and Novice for my son, Cameron. (Aside: Cameron was 2 years old during the first SouthEast Gran Turismo Party)
    Cameron has been iRacing for about 6 years. He's good at it... he was recruited to a pretty successful team that includes a couple of IMSA racers. Their names escape me at the moment.
    Since we purchased his '99 NB Miata a few years ago, he's been running SCCA autocross events in ES, and he does VERY well, even on 14" 195 Yokohama S.Drive tire, which I think are 340 treadwear.
    This was his first Track Day (weekend), though. I knew he would understand how to drive the line and such, and even though Novice with Instructor was sold out, I signed him up for Novice Solo... I figured *I* would ride with him and be his instructor. And that's what I did on Saturday. On Sunday I had him go truly solo. He was much better disciplined than many of the drivers in Advanced. (I don't like running with some of those bozos... they're out to prove that they're King or something.)

Anyway, here's a comparison of his fast lap of the weekend to my fast lap of the weekend. His came at around noon, mine was near 5:00pm with the sun setting. Sorry for the difference in lighting.

Video has no sound, because it wouldn't sync properly.
    Cameron 1:28.5
    Me 1:31.5

So.
    I even though I thought there might be a possibility that he might run quicker, I wasn't prepared for HOW MUCH quicker.

And now that I typed this up, I can't even remember what my overall point to this post was. I haven't posted around here in a long time.
    We need to go to more of these together. I wish some of you Time Trial guys lived a little further SouthEast.

Yeah, he was carrying at least 4 mph more than you crossing the line. That'll make for a nice and tidy lap time. Really cool to see the both of you out there.

It's hell on tires but Time Trials Nationals is going to Carolina Motorsports Park in Kershaw, SC on Memorial Day. I'll be there and I'm planning on putting my buddy, a complete novice, in the car as well. TTN is also making a stop at Road Atlanta this year as a co-sponsored event with Global Time Attack. Both events require no motorsports licensing for a Novice to run.

Check out the TTN thread in the paddock. Tyler and I run events together, Phil might run my car this year as well somewhere up north.

Great stuff!

I'm trying to get things sorted to have the car ready for a possible run at Road Atlanta, as that track is on my bucket list of places I need to burn some fuel at.

We should try and get together for that!

Sting? I'd be proud of him for going fast! Great work Cameron!

It was a #humblebrag. Maybe a #stingbrag?

JK. Happy for you, mate, our children should be better than us!

One single Low Profile Mini Fuse, the size of a TicTac, should not turn a car into a complete dead lump for 3 days.

It's like your pinky toe. Have you ever stubbed your pinky toe on a piece of furniture? Something that small shouldn't be allowed to cause so much pain and anguish.

I will say that, as owner of the car, you are more likely to not drive at 10/10ths. When it’s your own money you tend to take it down a notch because you want to bring it home in the same condition you brought it there. That’s what I did with my old 911. I could have gone a lot faster but at risk of reliability, wear and tear and possible crashing.

Your kid does not have any of those reservations
    Last edited by JoeW; February 26th, 2020 at 03:10 AM.

Really? I got a chance to drive a competitors car at TT Nationals last year. I didn't drive it nearly as aggressively as mine, I knew he was driving it 8 hours back home. Tyler was sharing my car with me for most of the weekend and I had to beat it into his head to give it everything.

GB, speaking of TT, Tyler and I will be out in Kershaw, SC time trialing at Carolina Motorsports Park on Memorial Day weekend. It's a pretty fun event, you and your son thinking of coming out? https://timetrials.scca.com/events/1...red-by-hagerty