Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: GB Hits "The Easy Button", or "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em"

I meant because he is a much younger adult with fewer reservations because it’s dad’s car.

"dad will fix it for me."

Small developments.
    A year and a half ago I bought 17x8" rims and Dunlop Direzza Star Spec ZIIIs (235s) to be my track day rims and tires. But they look so good and perform so well on the street, I just left them on full time. 6 track days, 3 autocrosses, and maybe 3500 miles later, they're still OK for the street, but too tired for work at the limit. So I painted my stock 17x7" rims gloss black and bought new track tires. Toyo Proxes R888R in 225s. Did a track day at the DIS 24 Hour course and was 4 seconds faster per lap than I was one year ago.

Cameron has been running every autocross he can get to in his nice little '99 Miata. He's been on 14x6" stock rims, with Yokohama S-Drive street tires (I think they're like 400TW). He runs in ES, and has been consistently about at the one-third position in his finishes... meaning about a third of the field, however big, is ahead of him, and about two-thirds slower than him. Over the winter he scored some free 15x6" Miata rims (the kid gets free rims every year, it seems), and he finally pulled the trigger on a set of RE-71Rs. He just DESTROYED the field in his first time out on them, just guessing at tire pressure, and no water sprayer to cool the tires between runs. Almost 2 seconds clear of the field. The guy who gave him the rims came over and asked for them back! (jokingly) I'm not ready to label him with "alien" status yet, but the kid's pretty quick. He said it was "easy", because instead of understeering everywhere, the car actually went where he intended it to. Yeah, that certainly helps!

("Kid" being a relative term... he turns 20 Aug. 18.)

4 second is aweson; congrats!

So if you are on the DIS 24 hour course then you get to use the banking etc? Cool, what is that like?

New brass shifter bushing. The old nylon one was a little worn out.

New front hubs, RX-8 spec.

Never again without a hub puller!

Nice.

Just noticed that shift bushing. Good call on the upgrade.