Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota Supra

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    Well i've driven R32 and R33 GT-R's, a turbo Series 4 RX-7 (my brothers old one), a non turbo Supra SZ (my other brothers one), many turbo and non turbo non GT-R Skylines, and out of them obviously the GT-R's feel the sportiest/best suited to having fun on the track/road.
    Then it would be the turbo Skylines, then i'm not sure as i've had limited seat time in the Supra and RX-7. I"m inclined to say the non turbo Skylines would be best next, but i'm probably biased since mine handles so well compared to a stock one.

Completely making assumptions here, but in reality i still think the GT-R's would come out on top, then probably a turbo Mk.IV Supra in a very close tie with the series 5/6/7/8 RX-7, then the turbo non GT-R Skylines.

Impressions wise:
    - The GT-R's and some of the turbo/non turbo modified Skylines i've driven all feel very sporty and nimble with more than decent 'push back in seat' factors. And the sound...

- The Mk.IV Supra feels big (probably not helped by the fact you sit so low in it) with a long front on it, but i'm guessing it could go pretty well around corners when driven faster. Non turbo obviously has a very linear power delivery, but it still felt reasonably quick. Probably as quick as my turbo Skyline before the turbo rebuild (it's been rebuilt with a stronger mid section, which has more higher/mid range torque), but we're going to find that out one day... It is quicker than my red non turbo Skyline, as i tried getting away from him on a straight once and he just stuck right behind me.

- The S4 turbo RX-7 also strangely had a very linear pull, almost like it wasn't a turbo at all. But my brother once raced it against Dad in my turbo Skyline and they were neck and neck apparently until the Skyline blew its head gasket. Both cars were pretty much stock standard. From memory it felt more nimble than the Supra, like it wasn't as big/cumbersome.

So going by all that long windedness, i'd probably almost agree that the Supra is more relatable to a tourer than a dedicated sports car. Or maybe i just need more seat time in one. Looks wise, it still looks fricken cool and is second place to Skylines to me (S5 etc RX-7 being third).

FD rx7 is the sportiest out of them all. Also the lightest by a fair amount too.

I personally think it's the prettiest as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    FD rx7 is the sportiest out of them all. Also the lightest by a fair amount too.

I personally think it's the prettiest as well.
    QFT

I hadn't been in one until recently. I've since driven two. They're *tiny* inside. But they're oh so fun. Especially the one that had '99-spec turbo stuffs on it and sticky tires. Really high limits and very rewarding to drive.

I haven't driven enough of the others to really comment, but the FD certainly feels every inch the sports car to me. In some ways it's like a "Miata plus", almost as small inside but with a bit of a wider track. It's very responsive to steering, brake and throttle inputs, partly due to the short wheelbase perhaps, great turn-in, very balanced. I think the Mazda guys had very different goals for the FD compared to the FC, and went all-out to make it a sports car.

In theory, the Z4 descends from the Z3, which was BMW's response to the first Miata. So a Supra based on that two-seat roadster platform should have the potential to be smaller and lighter than the original, more like an FD, but reliable. However the current Z4 is apparently a bit of a porker and more of a cruiser than a roadster, so I'm not holding my breath. And even the FT-1, which is a great looker, is visually quite a bit more massive than the FD.

Looks like a small 6 series (F12)

Me: It’s impossible to fuck up the design of a front-engined two seater sports car, as it has beautiful proportions right from its package.
    BMW Design: Hold my beer...

I’m obviously not a designer but my impression here is common to so many cars these days that the front is so busy with vents (or “vents”) that it feels in tension with itself. There is no sense of calm.

https://twitter.com/Roadster_Life/st...83535927308288

I know someone somewhere always has to be edgy with the hot takes; but the reactions I've seen to this car have been mostly favorable. I'm reserving opinion until I see it in motion. The front creases do appear to be a bit much and contrary to earlier Z cars. Maybe they're a concession to Toyota which will sell the same car but with what I assume will be smoother lines.

We All Live in a Yellow BRZ The359's Avatar
    I said it elsewhere, I think it looks a lot more like an SLK now than the Z4 of old. I assume the non-M-ish version will be boring as hell.

The Supra will still be uglier though.
    Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    without the BMW grille you could definitely mistake it for a Mercedes!

The snout looks like the ass end of the Civic Type R. I can't unsee it now.