Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota Supra

Same sentiment as Cuda.

I do love to drive the ultimate driving machine, but not sure if I really want to own one out of warranty.

Anyway, hopefully Toyota and BMW will be able to influence each other in a good way and not end up with a car that doesn't drive well and with lower reliability...

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    I've never been a huge fan of BMW. I had the chance to buy a late 90's 3-series when I was considering buying a used Lexus GS300 (Which I ended up buying), and just didn't like the interior much. Also drove an M3 but it was in really ratty shape.

I do like the (original) 8-series and would love to own one of those if it wasn't for the electrical complexity. I also liked the one with the doors that dropped down

The Z1?

I guess I've just been very lucky with the 9 BMWs I've owned; only one of which had a warranty while I owned it (the E60).

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by CudaMan View Post
    I love German cars but every time I think about buying one with my own hard-earned I get cold feet.
    From my understanding, Consumer Reports agrees with you on this count. I don't subscribe, but my father does and regularly tells me that German cars now regularly get low marks for reliability.

Anyway, most of us have not actually owned 9 BMWs, we all just heard from here and there so we could be wrong...

JD Powers 3 yr study showed that BMW tied with Toyota at 7th place!

https://www.businessinsider.com/most...-ranked-2018-2

Guess I was wrong. I had an E36 from 50k to about 150k on it, and only problem mechanically was a water pump around 100k. And an E38 that had 0 mechanical problems up to about 110k when I got rid of it.

I guess YMreallyMV

The most recent model year BMW I have owned was a 2008, maybe they have gone to shit more recently. *shrug*

My thru the grapevine experience was a close friend’s 90’s 328... would that be e36 or e38? Anyway, he got it used at around 20k miles.

Loved how it drove and the amazing engine sound.

There weren’t any major mechanical problems, just small little things like sunroof switch, radio nob, powered window , computer failures... all these things costs hundreds to thousands to fix. Good thing he had extended warranty...

Still, warranties don’t last forever. Eventually the auto tranny failed and without warranty, he decided to just not fix it. Don’t think he reached 200k, probably around 150kish...

Anyway, now he and his wife both drive Hondas...

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    yeah, the thing I hear most frequently is electrical issues more than engine issues

Oh, another thing is the interior lining, not sure if they were genuine leather or faux... somehow just keeps on getting de-laminated. He had it fix under extended warranty once, but eventually they peeled off and turned bubbly again. All the door interior linings looked horrible as the car ages...

Without these fancy trimmings, the car has good mechanicals I suppose. He probably should've gotten a stick rather than automatic. Car just feels solid. I think the car 'feels' over engineered compared to Japanese counterparts probably because these cars need to travel fast on autobahn regularly. Japanese cars are probably designed to go mostly on US hwys...

I was kinda tempted to buy a more practical and luxurious 3 series rather than the S2000 back then..., but hearing my friend complain about his car over the years made the decision rather easy since my intention is to keep my car for a long long time... and I'm rather cheap...