Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota Supra

It is such a different age now, I wonder how Toyota will keep this car from being stillborn.

Seems like they're doing it by splitting all the development and manufacturing costs with BMW. It worked for the Toybaru, and this will presumably have higher margins + BMW's marketing and name cache clout.

(Based on what I perceive as the greater popularity of the Subaru vs the Scion/Toyota, going solely by our GTXF group, and BMWs popularity for premium vehicles vs Toyota's, this almost seems like Toyota has been contracted out to develop sports cars for the other brand, and part of their payment structure is the ability to sell their own version of the car as well. Too much of a stretch?)
    Last edited by Kchrpm; September 9th, 2016 at 06:02 AM.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Yeah but I'm not talking about the BMW version -- that shit will MSRP at $200K+ and wealthy Bimmer fans will buy them regardless of if they're Kings o' da Streetz or not.

But a Supra? There's really only one reason (and one vociferous group of non-new-car-buying enthusiasts) that people want it back: dick-size.

So that puts Toyota the Brand in a tough spot. If the new Supra doesn't run with Godzilla, isn't just another Celica? Only now it'll be a $100K Celica...

Oh, I wasn't expecting it to be in that market at all. I thought it was going to be closer to the Stingray than the Z06, in broad price and performance terms. Never considered the $100k thing. Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    Oh, I wasn't expecting it to be in that market at all. I thought it was going to be closer to the Stingray than the Z06, in broad price and performance terms. Never considered the $100k thing. Hmmm...
    Same.

Z8 MSRP was only $131k, similar to the i8. I don't see how the Z5 would be six figures, let alone the most expensive BMW ever sold. I mean, the most expensive BMW ever sold is a rebadged Toyota? lulz

We All Live in a Yellow BRZ The359's Avatar
    I agree, I think Toyota is aiming for something around $50k. Anything above that would be Lexus RC-F and LC territory.
    Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via

Quote Originally Posted by novicius View Post
    So that puts Toyota the Brand in a tough spot. If the new Supra doesn't run with Godzilla, isn't just another Celica?
    They cannot make a car run with the GT-R with a U.S. MSRP of $50K.

A Supra that cannot compete with the GT-R is a Celica Supra not a H00PRA.

Ergo my original statement:

Quote Originally Posted by novicius
    It is such a different age now, I wonder how Toyota will keep this car from being stillborn.

But I think your first statement is wrong. Sports cars don't have to run with Godzilla just to be relevant, even sports cars from Japanese manufacturers. The world of new sports car purchases is not just a dick swinging competition, as much as magazines and brand-specific forums might want you to think.

Aiming for Corvettes/Caymans/base 911s is a completely reasonable proposal.

Agreed.

And I would expect a Z5 to fill a similar slot the Z4 is leaving behind. Maybe slightly upscale into SL territory instead of SLK (SLA?), but not wannabe supercar stuff.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    But I think your first statement is wrong. Sports cars don't have to run with Godzilla just to be relevant, even sports cars from Japanese manufacturers. The world of new sports car purchases is not just a dick swinging competition, as much as magazines and brand-specific forums might want you to think.

Aiming for Corvettes/Caymans/base 911s is a completely reasonable proposal.
    But I think historically people expect a car with the name SUPRA to run with Godzilla (But really, until the MKIV was that even true?)