Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota Supra

Junior Potato
    We got any R35 fans here????

I like that one too. But I like the 33 and 34 more.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    The front of the R35 never looked quite right to me...the proportions are just wrong to me, and although I was hoping it would be fixed with revisions and bodykits (which Nissan then said shouldn't be made for it), it hasn't really improved or grown on me.

Never liked the 35.

R34 for me.

Junior Potato
    I think the R35 is ugly, and I think the new Supra is an equally bloated bag of arse.

So reviews are coming out, and everyone is pretty much saying it's a good car, but *insert undeserved sentimental nonsense*.

The MkIV was cool, but it was not like some kind of poor man's McLaren F1 or something. Nearly all of its legend comes from its engine, and most of that from its ability to take ungodly amount of power before going boom. That and Fast and Furious/Gran Turismo sentimentality. And most of its 'value' today is in the fact that so many were tuned and turned into other stuff that finding an unmolested one is all of a sudden so rare.

The new one takes some design cues, and fits into a similar price/performance bracket. So why the hate?

Well for one, people look at its rivals then (NSX, GTR) and the new versions of those. All three are in completely different categories. Honda and Nissan went upwards big time in performance terms, and in price. Toyota kept things simpler, and cheaper. More on performance though later. Note that a MkIV Supra never sold for near the inflation equivalent of the $50k point the MkV starts at. I think the lowest was about $40k in '98 which is $60k or so now.

The whole it's actually a BMW thing. This I think is a good thing mostly. Only bad point could be reliability, which of course for a Toyota would be sacrilege. But you know it's going to a great engine as long as it works. And probably a great chassis (apparently lower CG than 86). This obviously could be a big difference when it comes to the MKIV (why aren't people mentioning earlier Supras?), since you could tune them to crazy numbers. This one might start popping above 400hp for all we know. To be seen, so maybe don't hate just yet.

No Manual. This I agree with. Though this is probably mostly BMW's fault since they don't have a manual option on the Z4. Maybe we'll see Toyota make one at some point, but probably not.

Not enough power. I kinda get this, especially when you look at the Z4 with 60 more hp or whatever it is. But I think they're leaving room for a higher spec one. Remember the MkIV had a non-turbo model too. Also getting an extra 75 hp or so out of this engine will be as easy as plugging in a cable (and paying some $$ of course).

Styling. Okay this is the most subjective. I really like the lines. But I do hate all the fake vents. It'd probably look better without them. The seams at the rear of the door because of the fake vent look bad, but can be solved with dark colors. Overall though, I think it's great looking.

If I were thinking about a new car, this would jump on to the list next to the Cayman, M2 and RS3 (most would probably be looking at a TTRS, but if I got Audi, I'd go RS3). It's no Cayman, but once you option a 718, you're looking at a lot more money. M2 can have a manual. RS3 slightly more practical with 4 doors (TTRS more expensive).
    Last edited by Freude am Fahren; May 14th, 2019 at 07:03 PM.

One reviewer mentioned that it could be said that the Supra is the best of the current M cars, because of its compact dimensions and suspension tuning.

I'm happy to see a handful of reviews point out the differences in development paths between the two companies and give the car a fair shot. Hopefully this gets half of the internet off the "unworthy rebadged BMW" simpleton bandwagon.

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    R32 looks the best to me, but i like literally every Skyline naturally.
    I also like the look of the Mk.IV and Mk.V, even though the V had the potential to look so much nicer, and be so much quicker...

For the price of a Cayman, a new grand Sport is hard to ignore...

https://www.autoblog.com/cars-for-sa...Corvette-2019/
    Last edited by Godson; May 14th, 2019 at 09:38 PM.