Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast

Thread: Toyota Supra

I wouldn't trust those numbers until an everyday Joe buys one and takes it to a Dyno and gets those numbers.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    but it's Car and Driver reporting it, it's not like it's Motor Trend

but seriously, I agree, but if it's true...that's very underrated

Australian prices, missed this bulletin at work.. whoops.
    GT spec - $84,900
    GTS spec - $94,900
    If you want Matt grey paint on the GTS, that's another $2500.
    If you also want to add Alcantara seats, that'll be another $2500 too thank you.

And if you want a manual you can just buy an M2 competition for the same price

We All Live in a Yellow BRZ The359's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yobbo NZ View Post
    Australian prices, missed this bulletin at work.. whoops.
    GT spec - $84,900
    GTS spec - $94,900
    If you want Matt grey paint on the GTS, that's another $2500.
    If you also want to add Alcantara seats, that'll be another $2500 too thank you.
    Through exchange, that's actually almost identical to the US prices.
    Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via

Looks like you add another 10k for the drive away price!

M2 comp is the same pricing as the GTS based on the driveaway pricing on the toyota website but regardless, 10% isn't a huge step up to get a considerably more powerful, more practical and better looking car from BMW rather than Toyota. I think they'll certainly sell, at least initially while they're 'hot', but I can't see people picking the Supra over the M2 Comp in great numbers long term.

Previously, people bought the Camaro SS 1LE. Because it flat out was better than the M2 Comp. That was before the general redesigned the Camaro to look like dogshit

Having been lukewarm initially, I'm really developing a serious interest in the new Supra. I think it's mainly that the reviews are fairly positive (not wow, but pretty warm towards it), and seeing videos of it being chucked around a track, it looks to have that FR, 50/50, short-wheelbase throttle-responsive balance that I enjoy in the FD.

Initially I was put off by how much worse it looks than the FT-1 concept, which was quite a cool sight at Megaweb; the proportions looked wrong, especially in direct comparison; too tall and narrow, with too much volume above and in front of the front wheels. However, although it looks nose-heavy with that bulbous snout and I6 extending ahead of the front axle, if it hits 50/50 balance and is responsive to drive, maybe what's underneath is more important than the looks.

To be honest it's partly also lowering expectations. The FD is trying my patience - while it's driveable, I've had a long wait getting new dampers, and now it's developed yet another lack-of-boost fault too. Coming after last year's engine rebuild and running-in, it's a year since I've been able to enjoy it properly. Also, I'd quite like to buy *one* brand-new car in my lifetime, and I've given up hope of Mazda coming up with a new RX-7 - they're hamstrung by the emotional link to the traditional rotary engine, which probably isn't viable to make emissions-legal any more, especially for the small market share it could reach. So if not an 'FE' RX-7, what's it going to be?

The Supra seems to sit in the sweet spot for what I want, between less practical mid-engined cars like the Cayman and A110, and more saloon-based ones like the BMW M2. It's even meant to ride nicely, which is good for our poorly maintained B-roads where the chances are to have fun.

Power? It's as fast as my FD, and that's quick enough to be definitely at the point of diminishing returns, i.e. where other factors are much more important to enjoyment.

I'm not bothered that it's BMW-based; I have nothing against BMWs, and the interior looks smart. The only sports car in its class that's not on some sort of shared platform is the A110, and that only because Caterham went back on the deal. I'd rather have a dedicated sports car platform shared with another brand, than one adapted from an in-house saloon.

The fake vents are annoying but not a deal-breaker. Who knows, maybe some of them could be replaced with aftermarket parts or opened up. What could send me away would be the automatic gearbox. I really like the way with a manual car, you can close the throttle and get engine braking tightening your line; my limited and not-recent experience of autos is of the torque converter unlocking, sending the car coasting away when I want to be reining it in.

Apart from that, it seems to be a low, tight, curvacious coupe with good power and a nice malleable balance ... and a five year warranty. Which is very tempting...

Looks awesome in that dark blue.

Just stick to dark colors and it looks great, because the 'vents' don't stand out. Even if they were real, it's all about too much for me. That said, I've got my eye on it over the next 12-18 months when new car time may come. Maybe there will be other versions by then too.