Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota Supra

With the gentlemen's agreement of the time, it's hard to say what any of the cars were really trying to do. To me, the GT-R jumped classes when it ditched its family car underpinnings and went for supercar territory in the latest generation. The Supra could make that jump, too, but I don't think the investment would be smart or justified when the car you're sharing development with is just going to be a sports car.
    Get that weak shit off my track

$60k was the target price that was thrown out by their chief designer a few years ago ($100k it would be a Lexus, no?)

This report from 2014 says the Toyota would be a hybrid, to differentiate from the BMW with the same basic engine: http://www.automobilemag.com/news/re...sion-possible/

Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    But I think historically people expect a car with the name SUPRA to run with Godzilla (But really, until the MKIV was that even true?)
    No, they didn't, in markets which got the GTR it was seen as a step above. GTR's were expected to be running with, or in front of, a 911 turbo around a track, supra has never been expected to play in that space.

I was at the local Harbor Freight store yesterday. I was checking out the finest in Pittsburgh-labeled Chinese steel when I saw a guy wearing a black t-shirt that said "SUPRA" on it. I walked up to him and struck up a short conversation.

I asked him if he thought that the next Supra should be a $55K, 450ish HP, 12-second quarter-mile sports car (basically a Japanese/German Corvette)... or should it compete with the GT-R?

He wanted to see a GT-R fighter. #anecdotal

EDIT: This anecdote is not intended as proof of what a ToyoBimmer sporty car ought to be (and certainly not a prediction on what it's *going* to be).

On Friday Keith & I debated the topic back channel and really came to the conclusion that we have different opinions on what people are asking for when they say "Bring back the Supra!"

Keith can explain his position (I don't want to put words into his mouth). My opinion is that those people (forum fanboys and former MKIV owners alike) want a GT-R fighter.

I write this fully understanding Greg's statement but the MKIV in the U.S. was a different situation compared to the rest of the world.
    Last edited by novicius; September 11th, 2016 at 10:19 AM.

Looks a sensible size, not too big. Like the curved doorline and double-bubble-ish roof.

Waist is a bit high, like with most modern cars.

Is the Z5 going to get front double wishbones, or is the Supra going to make do with McPherson struts up front?

V6 TT sounds good to me. It might all get a bit heavy with V6, turbos and electric motors, though.

Interesting - and much more likely to actually happen than the mythical new Mazda rotary I really want.

I think there's a segment of the Supra-enthusiast population that just wants the brand name they like to come back as an all-conquering hero for bragging rights. I don't know how many of those people can or would buy a brand new $110k+ car.

It's similar to the mid-engined Corvette argument, IMO. Yes, there are Corvette fans out there that want a mid-engined Corvette, not just journalists. But have they thought through what it really means? Have they realized that a mid-engined, small block powered car is likely going to start close to 6 figures with the LT1 engine? Do they understand the size of the market they are leaving behind if they have that car and get rid of the FR car and its price range?

But perhaps the answer for both the Corvette and Supra is "both"! Make the MR Vette a new model, alongside the Stingray, Grand Sport and Z06, and have a 6-figure, AWD w/vector blah blah Supra TRD.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    It's also similar to MR2 fandom. When the MKIII came out, a lot of people didn't like it, because it was much more like the MKI than the MKII (not to mention questionable styling). Most people want a resurrection of the MKII MR2 if Toyota does bring it back again

If we're filling out a wishlist I too would like the Z5 to compete with the GTR. Easy for me to say because I'm not in the market for a Z5 at $60K or $160K.

So coming back to the real world, I realize I'm behind the times but how did the last BMW Z... 4 (?) stack up against the C7?

Can a Z5 deliver the goods? The base C7 is... formidable.