Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cars have wheels (My cars and stuff thread). Kiwi!

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar

Cars have wheels (My cars and stuff thread). Kiwi!

Now that i have your undivided atten.....

Wow, really - you didn't even read the first sentence before clicking the back button?

Okay, for those of you still with me.

I drive cars. I get drives in cars. I see cars/trucks. I video cars/trucks/cats. Etc.

I'll chuck vids on here occasionally. None of the road vids involve breaking speed limits, cutting corners or doing anything illegal, as don't want to Police to come knocking at my door. I could just move the door i suppose, but then they'd probably still find it if they walk around the house. :/

Anyways, here's a few vids i prepared earlier;

Okay, this one i didn't film, but it's taken in 2003 in a 1973 C110 Skyline while following me and Dad in the GTS-4 (he was driving, as it was his back then) and two R32 GTS-t's. Filmed with a cellphone, but remember back in the day this was good quality.

Next, my first ever grasskhana/motorsport of any type was on this day (back in 2008) i think, and first time i've purposely thrown a car around in an open space with the intention of going fast/getting the back out. Quite noobish, but still not bad car control considering i'd only ever really got my car control experience from GT2/GT3 and possibly Gran Turismo 4 too at the time. Doesn't make it any easier with the fact that i was driving my GTS-4, which is automatic and features luxury items such as turbo lag, and a 4WD system that engages the front wheels only when the rear ones lose tration. And a clicky CV joint. And a while after this vid, a 95% blocked radiator.

https://youtu.be/iFCNC7ScgAY?t=232 (can't embed while starting the vid part way through?)

Later in the day i got a little faster: https://youtu.be/CLh6CUC4pzI?t=47

Fast forward a bit, and you get the time when the 4 broke the straps on the dyno and came off. It's 119kw (should be 134kw or something?) of raw power which was running rich, and occasionally switching to five cylinders or 'missing', was too much for them.
    Last edited by SkylineObsession; September 30th, 2016 at 09:56 PM.

How can we forget the time i raced an 800hp R32 GT-R on an airport runway, with my 144hp R32 Skyline GTS.
    In all seriousness though, there were a lot of other fast cars there, but this GT-R was the fastest on the day, and no-one else would race him. He kept racing himself every time, so since i knew him i went to have a chat and decided i'd race him, to give people something to talk about.
    By the time i passed the halfway mark, he'd already finished. And i wasn't messing around, both of us did our best times on that run, he got 10.6 seconds, i got 17.3 seconds.

A while later i dynoed my GT-R beaten GTS. Its' nickname is Screamin (from the previous owner), with good reason...

Still trying to find a tunnel long enough to scare the sh1t out of anything that lives in there, sounds Ferrari-ish under motorway overbridges.

I drove a Ferrari in Australia once, first time ever driving in a new country and it was in a very expensive car. Then there was the Gallardo drive back half an hour later. Sadly the vid for that didn't really turn out. It is on my page, but yeah. Horrible quality. Now that i have Sony Movie Maker 13, i might try edit it again to see if i can improve it.

Finally here's a more recent collection of basically nice driving roads near or in my city limits.

This vid was taken about an hour south of here, which contradicts my statement above i suppose. Taken with our drivecam in my wife's R32 Skyline GTS during a Southern Skylines car cruise. I was at the front leaving everyone behind.

Another drivecam vid, in my wifes GTS again. This road is only 20 minutes away on on the city limits. Used to be a gravel road, which it was when my brother crashed and wrote off his R32 Skyline GTS-25 around a corner. He slid out and smashed into a bank. Skylines are not good on gravel when combined with the HICAS four wheel steering.

And a video from a couple of days ago in my red Skyline, on a newly sealed road filmed with our GoPro Hero 2.

Got 258 videos on my page all up, if you're bored you could watch them to become more bored. Will hopefully be entering more motorsporty things at some stage, but depends on funds.
    https://www.youtube.com/skylineobsession
    Last edited by SkylineObsession; September 12th, 2016 at 12:16 AM.

Basically i've got two non GT-R Skylines,

A 1991 GTS;
    Arrowtown,CentralOtago.jpg
    - 107kw (144hp) confirmed on dyno run
    - non turbo
    - rear wheel drive
    - 5 speed manual transmission
    - had a few handling modifications, as the previous owner used to take it around Manfield and Taupo racetracks until he deemed it too tidy to risk going much faster and potentially losing control
    - received a full respray in the factory red pearl metallic (?) a few years before i bought it off him in 2009, with more colour added than from factory so it looks really deep
    - 16.4? second 1/4 mile time on a closed road (only a few weeks after i bought it)
    - factory LSD (yay!)
    - no HICAS (four wheel steering) from factory, which makes it much easier to tell what the car is doing around the corners and when the back is going to slide out (which it has 'accidently' done a few times ). I'm not the greatest fan of HICAS to be honest, but haven't yet tried it out around a track to see if it makes it easier or harder. The fact that some people who race Skylines remove the HICAS probably doesn't say much for it.

And a 1990 GTS-4;
    4th July Snowfall (19).jpg
    - 212hp (engine) factory, last dyno run it did 119kw... should have been in the 130's or so? Was running rich and on intermittently on five cylinders.
    - single ceramic turbo
    - four wheel drive (rear wheel drive 100% of the time until they lose traction, then the fronts kick in - so can still get it sideways er... *cough* apparently *cough*)
    - 4 speed automatic transmission
    - completely bone stock (other than the exhaust which Dad made when working with an exhaust company - was put on to test it, but it never came off . Still have the original one. Also has the factory Sony cd player, factory cassette player - neither of which work -, factory radio which only gets old fogey stations and so on and so forth).
    - 16.3? second 1/4 mile time on the same closed road, on the same day as the GTS. Turbo lag made their times very close, but the 4 got a 160km/h trap speed while the GTS got to about 140km/h. Tried building up boost on the brakes as i'd done successfully once before (with a nice g-force kick to the back of the seat), but there wasn't enough grip on the road so it just pushed the car along.
    - HICAS. Which feels really weird. You turn into a corner and suddenly it turns even sharper like you're going sideways, but there is no tyre squeal and you're still under control. Really need to try this out in a safe (for the car) environment.

That's a brief rundown of them anywho.
    At the moment only the GTS is drivable, as the turbo is on it's way out on the GTS-4, so it's been taken out to be replaced (eventually...).

Even tho' they're both slower than the Bananastang, they're both much nicer.

Thanks. Although that shape Mustang is far and away my favourite (the newest one would be my second fave), and i'm a little jealous.

Finally found a recent pic (December 29 2015...) of the 4. Wifey wanted to go for a ride on her ZX-6RR one day but no-one else from the bike club was available, so (since i don't have a bike) i took my quick car (when it was running) and we went for a half hour or more hoon around some nice roads. And by quick, i mean slow compared to the bike. Quick flick of the wrist and she'd fly past me i'd assume.

Oh well.
    _DSC9375 (1920x1282).jpg

Have to have a wee match with the 4 and my brothers Mk.IV Supra SZ one day. He keeps up with my red car no problem, so need to see what difference a turbo would make (essentially both Skylines share the exact same engine - RB20, just the GTS-4 has a hairdryer attached).
    Dad and my other brother had a wee race one day, Dad in the 4 and my brother in his S4 RX-7 turbo. Apparently they were neck and neck - until the 4 blew a head gasket (mmmm, $2,000).
    Last edited by SkylineObsession; October 3rd, 2016 at 12:41 AM.

Turbo is back in the car, and now it's time to run it in. A mate who has a 600hp+ R33 GT-R, plus a crashed one (his old one, which he took me up to 280km/h in one day before rolling it in a hillclimb event a couple weeks later), three or four Stageas (including a Autech 260RS, which he's putting an RB30 in and is planning on getting 900hp out of eventually), and a couple of R33 GTS-4's (may have sold one, or both by now) suggested i plant it through 1st, 2nd, 3rd (which will easily take me over the speed limit, hmm no thanks) once or twice, then drive slowly for a number of km's and rinse/repeat etc to get the oil or whatever through the turbo and so on.

So done that once already - up a hill though so it felt slow.

The rebuilt turbo cost me $1400 or so. They dumped the breakable ceramic turbo and "machined the housings out to take a Garrett core assembly so it remained a 100% bolt in turbo" (wasn't that simple naturally, but we found a way around it to get it back together). Said; "In stock form the turbo will give you more mid range/top end. They come on boost slightly later but not by much. With a good tune these turbos will support 320hp."

Last bit doesn't affect me, as i intend on keeping the car as standard as possible. Ceramic turbo dumping aside.

I have noticed it comes on boost a wee bit later (which was already lateish when you're foot-flatting to try cross an intersection quickly before an approaching car), possibly a louder hissing sound and it kinda sounds like the wastegate/bov sounds different too, but maybe i'm just used to the one in the van (Hiace SuperCustom).

Have barely driven it since another GT-R (R32 this time) owning mate put it back in, and haven't even started it since getting back from the USA. Need a longer waste (?) oil pipe from the turbo to the hip bone or something, because it isn't quite long enough to fit around the slightly fatter turbo (mid housing is bigger and stronger). My mechanic said i won't hear/notice anything if that pipe comes off when driving, until the engine suddenly seizes due to lack of oil and i'm left with a rather large brick in the engine bay.

And me being mega paranoid keeps picking up on new, strange sounds from the engine bay etc - and naturally think something is going to fail and cost me thousands. Or worse.

An annoying one at the mo is when cruising at 50-100km/h+ and i let off the accelerator just enough for the car to not accelerate, but not decelerate either - and a grinding type noise starts up? No idea what the heck it can be.

Anyway. Hopefully a new car vid coming before the end of this month, if all goes well. From a racetrack...

Video from last years charity cruise (i started/came up with the idea back in 2010, after Mum passed away from cancer). I'm still involved in an organising level, but another organiser does most of the work now.

Taken me nearly a year to edit it and put it online. Even though i only spent about an hour editing it this morning... Ahhh, procrastination.

And the $750,000 Lambo at the start of the vid is the only one in Dunedin, other than a couple of replica Countach's. The Lambo guy also owns three Ferraris, a C6 ZR-1, a C7 something (ZR-1?), a Merc SLS Convertible, a Lexus daily and a Model T. Been in his house a couple times before. Want it.
    Last edited by SkylineObsession; September 15th, 2017 at 05:29 PM.

Incase anyone is watching this topic, here is video one (of two, incar footage at bottom - can hear the car a bit better instead of just engine and wind) of my trip up to Highlands Motorsport Park in Cromwell (NZ's best racetrack IMO), two and a half hours west of me, yesterday morning. Was meant to be going last month with an R32 GT-R and '73 Porsche 911 RS replica owning mates, but i had the flu.

The concept is simple, two laps around the track behind a pace car (so you don't need helmets, cage, extinguisher, race suits etc) with speeds around 120km/h or so (if we even got to that with this bunch - car/s near the front were holding everyone up ). Then into the museum/cafe for breakfast. Tracklaps Breakfast is the name of the once a month event.

Filmed with our GoPro Hero 2, and edited with Sony Movie Studio Platinum.

Using my R32 GTS, and BTW it's the first time i've EVER driven on a racetrack.

Keep an eye on the carpark cars at the end of the vid, some there you peeps may like?

And the much better quality in car video, filmed with our Sony A77 DSLR. It's pretty much identical to what Screamin actually sounds like (turn your speakers up?).

Guy with the black muscle car in front of me came up to me later and said that he couldn't see any body roll in my car. Which is true, there isn't much, which helps a lot on twisty roads as you're fighting with the road, not the car. If anyone wants to know what my car has suspension/handling wise, PM me as not putting the mods on a public forum.
    Last edited by SkylineObsession; October 16th, 2017 at 02:05 AM.

Sharp stuff!!

That's a real nice... Roush Mustang? I wonder what those blackout patches next to the license plates are? Actual vents?