Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cars have wheels (My cars and stuff thread). Kiwi!

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    Good question, i've never thought to look closer at them before for some reason. Seem to be aligned with the exhaust tips as well.

Well that was a waste of $$$. Bought smoked indicators for my red car, tried to fit them and no dice. In the later years of the R32's life, they changed things around a little with indicators, and a metal shield or something is protruding where it wasn't in earlier models, and unfortunately the new indicator didn't account for that. No amount of forcing/breaking bits off would result in it fitting (not that we did that, because it was obvious it wasn't going to work).

Kinda sucks, as they matched the tinted front headlights. Refund time.
    Last edited by SkylineObsession; November 14th, 2017 at 11:45 PM.

To the two of you that read that last post, ignore it.

The guy who sold me the indicators was the one who said about the metal protruding bit in later model R32's. They were all in the box ready to be sent back, then he'd give us a refund.

But something was nagging me, and it wasn't the wife. We've got 1990, 1991 and 1992 Skylines (wife's is a '92, facelift model) so i took an indicator off of the other two and they both had that same protruding bar. And it kinda looked structural, not something that would be added later on. So i had another crack at installing them on the red car. I held my tongue a different way, and waited for the wind in the garage to change direction, wigged the indicators around a bit, flew to the USA and back to get more Caramel M&M's (after all that i left them at the airport in the US), turned the smaller indicator light plug thingy so it was vertical instead of horizontal (which could mean it may come loose in future, hopefully not though) and then they clicked into place...

Well i'll be dammed. They aren't as flush as the previous clear (faded yellow) ones, but they seem cheaperly made, so what can you do.

Pics tomorrow after work hopefully, and it's also due for a Warrant Of Fitness, so will see if they approve of them...

Don't ya hate that. After much fiddling in every way imaginable, "there's no way this f$@%er is going to fi... oh, there it goes."

I hate forcing things, so I’m terrible at fitting things that don’t just slide in!
    Glad it came together. Need a pic or it never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post
    I hate forcing things, so I’m terrible at fitting things that don’t just slide in!
    Must resist sullying SO's thread.

Quote Originally Posted by SkylineObsession View Post
    Pics tomorrow after work hopefully, and it's also due for a Warrant Of Fitness, so will see if they approve of them...
    If you're getting a WOF with headlights that have been tinted, then they're unlikely to kick off about indicators.

Everyone says they are tinted, especially looking at the same headlights on other R32's, but either they've done a bloody tidy job of it, or maybe it was a factory option to have them tinted? Surely not though. Anyway, WoF was no problem. Even pointed them out, he checked and said they are fine.

Pix! From the beginning, to now.

Way back in 2009 or 2008, with orange/clear indicators when still owned by the previous owner up in the central North Island. He bought the white car to replace the red one for motorsport duties, then sold the red one to me. Here you can also see the two different indicator shades Nissan provided, full orange and clear orange.

Before he sold it he put the clear indicators on, and it looked like this when i first got it in 2009. This is up on the Otago Peninsula, a few mins away from Dunedin city. Maybe in the first few weeks of owning it?

Fast forward to 2012, the lights are fading a bit.
    Last edited by SkylineObsession; June 2nd, 2018 at 11:22 PM.

And in May this year at a Nissan meet up beside a mates R32 GT-R (he has the exact same indicators as my new ones, below this pic).

Smoked indicators in now. This was taken today on one of the many bush drives in this city (like, barely a minute away from the 'edge' of the city).

And on the other side of the city, looking towards the USA.

Still getting used to them obviously, but i actually think it was a good choice.

The pattern you see on them is in the background, the front of it is clear plastic.

One of the warrant of fitness inspectors said it's a very tidy old girl etc etc. I did a lap through the CBD and more people than usual seemed to be looking at it (not to mention other people in cars on the road).

Bloody glad i gave it a second attempt at putting them on, as it would have always bugged me wondering if they maybe woulda fit. That, and we found no other aftermarket indicators for sale anywhere, even Ebay. :/
    Last edited by SkylineObsession; June 2nd, 2018 at 11:23 PM.

Looks damn sharp!