Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Cars have wheels (My cars and stuff thread). Kiwi!

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    Damn, that seemed quite quick.

Do you happen to know what to do to it/keep an eye on the keep the engine in running condition? My mechanic said it may not be a good idea going too mental with fuel/injector etc cleaning products as the car may not like being that clean again (if it hadn't had it done for a while).
    Bought some new spark plugs, oil, filter and a couple other things from Toyota the other day, even though most of that may have already been done recently.

Quote Originally Posted by SkylineObsession View Post
    Damn, that seemed quite quick.

Do you happen to know what to do to it/keep an eye on the keep the engine in running condition? My mechanic said it may not be a good idea going too mental with fuel/injector etc cleaning products as the car may not like being that clean again (if it hadn't had it done for a while).
    Bought some new spark plugs, oil, filter and a couple other things from Toyota the other day, even though most of that may have already been done recently.
    honestly, it's an old Toyota. Everything might be knackered, or if it has been well serviced, it might still be all good. It's a rolling of the dice. Just do normal servicing, and then if something plays up, look more deeply.

Yeah true, it came with no service history which doesn't help. But so far seems all good.

Anyways, a couple weeks ago i organised a wee winter meet, small turnout because it's the first one i've done in a long time so the regulars have mostly moved on to other things. Oh well. Still got some nice cars. Including my mates newly blacked Viper.

Not long after this it started raining lightly, then got quite heavy, and with no windows in the Viper he got a bit wet going home.
    Last edited by SkylineObsession; June 6th, 2019 at 12:50 AM.

Getting the fuel injectors professionally cleaned usually won't cause an issue, unless an issue was already present and in which case, should still be done.

Jmo

They also seem to have a close ratio gearbox, at least the ones I've test driven years ago at work seemed to.

Wouldn't worry too much about higher kms, my lovely ACV36 camry has 450,xxx kms on it now, top end is a bit noisy, but I give it a hard time most days getting onto the highway.
    Change the oil, change the fuel filter and you'll be right. Although the filter on those can be fun...

Whoops, musta missed those posts. But yeah, Vitz (aka 'baby car', since it's the smallest in our fleet) is still going well but haven't done the fuel filter yet. Hopefully it'll fix the slight dead spots non-smooth acceleration that it has when putting my foot down harder. Can get around 500km's around town out of a tank, and i think close to or maybe above 600km's on the open road? I was sure i'd taken a photo or something of the k's it did on a road trip once, but musta been another car.

Anywho. For the first time since the Covid-19 lockdown came into effect i've taken out one of my cars for a winter drive, since it was a nice sunny and warm day (after the morning frost thawed out). Was also the first time i met up with a mate instead of a coworker or family member since lockdown. And also the first time in 3-4 months i've taken the car out of the garage.

And in other news, my turbo Skyline has been having more problems (never ending...), it just seems to lose power sometimes? Like it could go like the clappers for a short while then next time i floor it its like the turbo has fallen off or only going at half strength. And (not confirmed, as can't remember) later on it could be fine again. Kind of annoying not knowing what the cause is. When the turbo got rebuilt it should have come with either a new wastegate or a fixed one, if there was any problem with it, since it's attached to the turbo housing. It runs on 98 octane fuel, and has done so for a good decade or more.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by SkylineObsession; May 16th, 2020 at 12:31 AM.

Another Sunday, another cruise.

A short drive over the hills you see in the background of my photo in the post above bought us to a very photogenic location (of which i don't have much pictures of ironically)

Wifey, the formerly black and originally yellow Viper, turbo Jaguar

This town we finished the cruise in was extremely busy, like it would be on a Summer day with no covid19 lockdown in effect.

So many nice cars out yesterday, US muscle everywhere, a nice tan/brown Porsche 911 930 (love that shape), a number of nice Japanese cars (Skylines, EVO's etc), Alfa 4C, a few other Porsches etc. Not too bad for the last day of Autumn.

The Vitz is a great wee gravel basher car. Doesn't like big rocks or built up gravel in the middle of the 'lane' on gravel roads as it bellies quite a bit, but if i drive on top of the high points its fine. Still got occasional power probs, so gonna try replace the fuel regulator next. Recently replaced all four speakers with new ones (nothing too fancy though). Old ones were so old that you could poke a finger through the cardboardness of the shell with little/no effort.

This was after taking a gravel/mud road from a blip on the map called Beaumont to a small village called Millers Flat (the state highway route on the other side of the river is MUCH quicker, but not as fun). Only wide enough for one car in many places. Lots of big rocks/stones to avoid. Many, many big water filled potholes, and right near the end of it was a shaded area (from a hill) with thick mud, which i got a wee runoff going to get through it, just incase. Hence the mud on the wing mirror. Lots of wheelspinning and sliding around, plus somehow finding enough room to let an oncoming 4WD get by me. It was great fun, but really slow going cos of the depth of the potholes and the many bloody rocks.
    Also, as you may be able to see, 95% of the clearcoat has come off the bonnet now.

One of the narrow rickety old bridges we had to cross

One of the local residents

Was worth the trip down that road, for views like this

Moar recent pics. Hows that suspension travel, huh? Does it remind you of your 1:64 scale Matchbox/Hotwheels car with a stuffed wheel?

Nice wee picnic area at Gabriels Gully (historic gold mining place from the 1800's).

As for the Skylines, one of them hasn't been road legal in nearly i year i think, and the other one prolly six months or more. Just got too lazy, plus lockdowns, plus being too busy, plus a friendship possibly no more due to a towing incident.
    Wifey was towing my (former?) mates Viper (he'd taken off many body panels to help the car painters out, so wasn't legal to drive on the road) and right near the end of the tow to the paint shop there was a miscommunication or something, the car got jerked by the rope (he was using a rigid rope, rather than our stretchy/bungy rope like i'd offered) unpleasant words were exchanged, and many parts of the Viper needed fixing or replacing (water reservoir split open, some metal bits got bent or snapped etc).
    We offered to pay for repairs, but he never really took it up. We got the water tank plastic welded for him, but since then haven't really heard peep from him, so we assume he's still not in a good mood about it. He hasn't responded to my last few messages, so who knows what's going on.

Mistakes happen. We offered hundreds of dollars to fix the broken bits. We apologised many times. We fixed his water reservoir (hopefully it stayed fixed?). And yeah. Oh well, was a good friendship while it lasted, if he's not keen on keeping it going.

Finally, this was the last time i took Screamin out for a drive, taken near Middlemarch (with wifey in her R32) which is an hourish from Dunedin city but still part of Dunedin city. This is how we announced on social media the pending arrival of our son (of which we didn't know his gender until the day he was born). Some people 'got it' straight away, others were a bit slower to get the meaning behind it. The small Skyline at front is actually on location and is a plastic build yourself R32 GT-R that's not quite finished, and it was sitting on a box which i badly photoshopped out.
    Us - Copy (3000x1367).jpg
    Last edited by SkylineObsession; May 9th, 2022 at 01:36 AM.

Hello Hilux, goodbye Hiace.

Going from an awesome 1994 8 seater, 3l, 128hp rear wheel drive diesel van to a angry looking 2016 5 seater, 2.8l, 170hp rear wheel drive diesel ute/truck.

Going to miss the ice box/ice maker/food warmer device, front and rear sunroofs, a moon roof, powered curtain rails, coffee flask heater, seats in the back that can rotate 180 degrees and be laid flat to sleep on, really nice sounding engine when compared to other diesels, comfy seating etc that all come in the van. And i think it's the best looking van out there. We really don't want to get rid of it, but our current fleet of six vehicles is a bit much.

Sadly though it is also coming up to 300,000km's (which means cambelt change etc, and we were thinking of doing the head/head gasket as a pre-emptive measure - aka thousands of dollars worth) and only has a 1-star safety rating, and we've been reading more and more stories about van drivers/front seat passengers getting their legs crushed in head on collisions, so decided that maybe we need to look at something a bit safer.

Wifey has been wanting a ute for a while now, and we saw this online (with its 5-star safety rating), went to the yard on a Sunday to test drive it, and on Tuesday we picked it up for $26k. It has 158,000km's on it, and used to be a fleet car, so has a good service history (and good chunks of mud still lingering underneath ).

Never expected to ever own a vehicle this new, so it's a bit of a weird feeling. It's not really got too many bells and whistles, the normal nav screen with reverse camera, auto headlights and so on. No parking sensors, no automatic folding mirrors and yadda yadda. But the amount of things we put in the back of the van, messing the carpet up, means a ute was a better choice of vehicle.

It also gets sideways very easily (so i've heard), even with traction/stability control turned on. I tried it around an abandoned roundabout the other night and it stepped out as easily as my red Skyline (aka, foot down and then handful of countersteer). Mind you, it has all terrain tyres on it, the roundabout was slightly wet and also notorious for traction probs.

But yeah. Anyone want to buy a van? Dealership only offered 7k for it (cos needs a bit of paintwork), and our bottom dollar for them was 8k.

As for plans for the ute;
    An alarm/immobiliser (manly the latter, but they come as a package).
    Tints on all windows (except front obviously) to try keep the heat out of it and for a bit of privacy, plus for window breakage security.
    Possibly going to get the front grill and badge, and maybe other badges, wrapped and or plasti-dipped in a mattesque colour.
    New 17 inch alloy rims (nothing fancy though) with tyres that provide good wet and dry grip on sealed and metalled surfaces, as we did with the van.
    Monsoon shield for the windows maybe.
    And possibly a couple other things.

Will do a road test soon to see how it does on a tank of diesel compared to the van. Will be interesting.
    Last edited by SkylineObsession; October 8th, 2022 at 08:01 PM.

Sad to see the van go (300K km!) but good to see you got a nice replacement.