Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Generic IndyCar Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    Grosjean to Andretti for 2022.
    And a full season including Ovals too. He could be a good option to win it if he stays consistent.

The general consensus has been that drivers are slightly slower at ovals after they have their first big accident at one, but, um, I'm not exactly sure how that works in Romain's specific situation.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Junior Potato
    Grosjean was passing around the outside in the dirt at St Louis a few weeks ago. I think he has cags big enough to deal with ovals.

I honestly thought he was running away with the rookie of the year trophy but it turns out McLaughlin has more points than Grosjean, and that’s all because Grosjean hasn’t done all of the ovals this year. Sadly it’s not a reflection of the true performance of the two drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Grosjean was passing around the outside in the dirt at St Louis a few weeks ago. I think he has cags big enough to deal with ovals.
    Right, the adage isn't that they're scared of the ovals before their first wreck, it's that they're scared afterwards. Drivers were a little bit slower and less aggressive after their first wreck than before. But I usually heard it said about Indianapolis, which is about 60 mph faster average speed than St. Louis.

Junior Potato
    I thought you were hunting towards his firey crash in F1 last year

Yes, I was! The old adage of "people are slower at Indy after they realize how much it hurts to crash there" doesn't necessarily take into account that the driver has nearly been burned alive in a fluke accident at 140 mph as they pierced steel armco. I don't know how that changes it. Very different animals, that wreck and the typical one at Indy, but the man *has* been on death's doorstep.

(Keep in mind this isn't a dig by the people who parrot this saying at particular drivers being slow because they're scared, because *everyone* that goes fast at Indy for long enough has a big wreck, so everyone ends up having that level of fear/respect on their way to whatever level of success they have there)
    Last edited by Kchrpm; September 25th, 2021 at 04:03 PM.

Junior Potato
    Perhaps he’s more fearless than we all thought.

I never though Grosjean had any fear. His early wrecking ball seasons of F1 prove that. But he's a great example of maturing as a driver.

That and Indy cars seem to reward a bit of argy-bargy much more than F1, which suits him.
    [oo) [|||] [|||] (oo]
    (_/__\_____/__\_)

Junior Potato
    Like that pass in the Corkscrew late in the last race...

RIP Al Unser Sr